Nationals 2018

shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nationals 2018

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

Is anyone planning on measuring the track there? Thoughts? I've been really debating about this because even small minute changes (like 2 cm or so) can make a big difference in the long run, so advice?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
JonB wrote:
For the sake of accuracy- you made other people do your cleaning at Nationals. haha
Pro Tip: Harvard loves applicants that know their way around a swiffer
LOL will keep that in mind! :D
By the way you are at Harvard?!!!! :o Amazing!
No not me, my partner who did the swiffering at nationals will be attending :lol:
Is anyone planning on measuring the track there? Thoughts? I've been really debating about this because even small minute changes (like 2 cm or so) can make a big difference in the long run, so advice?
I measured it both times at nationals and it was off by 1-2 cm in 2016 and a few millimeters in 2017 based on the laser distance meter i used iirc. I definitely would recommend double checking using a system that you use when you test just in case your way of measuring it is different than that of the supervisor because it certainly could make the difference. I would caution however if it takes more than 20-30 seconds to measure it, you might want to be careful that you do not run out of time for your runs (took us about 8 seconds to measure it)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
shrewdPanther46

The problem is, I am not sure if a laser distance measurement thing is allowed, because we aren't allowed electrical devices for aligning. I feel like its kinda shady, so I submitted an FAQ. The way we always practice is with a standard tape measure thing, but I fear that we would either go overtime or cut it very close if we measure the track with it.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:The problem is, I am not sure if a laser distance measurement thing is allowed, because we aren't allowed electrical devices for aligning. I feel like its kinda shady, so I submitted an FAQ. The way we always practice is with a standard tape measure thing, but I fear that we would either go overtime or cut it very close if we measure the track with it.
See 3.f.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
shrewdPanther46

That rule discusses the use of electrical devices for SIGHTING/AIMING, not for figuring out the length of the track.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:That rule discusses the use of electrical devices for SIGHTING/AIMING, not for figuring out the length of the track.
Not official FAQ; are you aiming the laser, or not using it in its capacity as a laser?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
shrewdPanther46

You would be aiming it at some sort of obstruction (ex:a piece of cardboard) placed by the target point, and then reading the digital measurement provided by the device.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Arguing that using a laser to measure the track length isn't "alignment" seems a bit risky to me. A standard metal tape measure from the hardware store will be accurate enough.
shrewdPanther46

I also agree that the accuracy will be more than sufficient from a normal tape measure. However, I am worried about the time it will take, because we already take around 7 minutes for both of our runs, so we are not sure if it is worth the risk or not.
M017
Division: B
State: NE
Has thanked: 0

Post by M017 »

Would I be able to measure out to 12m, for aiming purposes? If we point our car at 65cm to the right at 12m, it gets center line and ends on the center of the line.

Return to “Battery Buggy B”