Rules changes to BB for 2019

megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC

Rules changes to BB for 2019

Postby megrimlockawesom » May 21st, 2018, 2:47 pm

Just wanted to ask what other people think they might do to the BB rules for the 2019 season (ex. bringing the bucket back)
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

hippo9
State: IN

Re: Rules changes to BB for 2019

Postby hippo9 » May 21st, 2018, 2:49 pm

Yeah, I'm going to assume the bucket will be back, or something similar to make the buggy have to curve. I would be surprised if it is another year of straight running...
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

vehicleguy
State: -

Postby vehicleguy » May 21st, 2018, 6:03 pm

This probably won't happen but it would be cool if there was a bonus for having less batteries in the vehicle.
Battery Buggy-ELG-Exp D-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster

Battery Buggy-Exp D-FF-Herp-Potions-Roller Coaster

Feel free to PM me about any of my events.
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy

megrimlockawesom
State: NC

Postby megrimlockawesom » May 21st, 2018, 6:50 pm

vehicleguy wrote:This probably won't happen but it would be cool if there was a bonus for having less batteries in the vehicle.

Also maybe a bonus for a lesser RPM motor
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute, Thermodynamics

I like Overwatch, Marvel, and food

Bottom Text

shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Postby shrewdPanther46 » May 21st, 2018, 7:06 pm

megrimlockawesom wrote:
vehicleguy wrote:This probably won't happen but it would be cool if there was a bonus for having less batteries in the vehicle.

Also maybe a bonus for a lesser RPM motor

bruh that makes no sense. This is legit what i was stressing this entire year... its all about the way u gear it.

cheese

Postby cheese » May 22nd, 2018, 12:02 am

It would be way to complicated for a restriction on batteries/motors. I would assume there would be a bucket involved.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

hippo9

Postby hippo9 » May 22nd, 2018, 6:43 am

The battery restriction is plausible, but measuring each team's rpm could be very difficult at competitions.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research." - Albert Einstein

2019: Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Sounds of Music

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:52 am

yea battery restrictions are possible, but then i would like to see more emphasis on speed over accuracy.
RPM restrictions make no sense whatsoever cuz the output rpm is just how fast ur car goes... and it it would be measured w/wheel size and speed over a distance, so idk where that idea came from lol

builder83

Postby builder83 » May 22nd, 2018, 5:48 pm

If they do BB again, it would be nice to be able to use a laser sight (as part of overall batteries).

Also a curved track would be cool.

Agree on gifting speed a lot more weight.

Narrower vehicle dimensions.

9 volt max maybe.

However I kind of miss scrambler. Wouldn't mind splatting eggs again. Or 2 wheeled vehicle events!

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » May 22nd, 2018, 5:50 pm

lol im going to be even more salty if this year's rules have more weight for speed

hippo9

Postby hippo9 » May 22nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

builder83 wrote:I Or 2 wheeled vehicle events!

I know your probably just joking, but imagine if this happened. If they say ran scrambler and BB the same year, it would be interesting if they stressed speed in one, and then accuracy more in the other. This would never happen, but I think it would be interesting to see how teams would accomplish two vehicle events in one year.

knightmoves

Postby knightmoves » May 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

builder83 wrote:However I kind of miss scrambler. Wouldn't mind splatting eggs again. Or 2 wheeled vehicle events!

You want two events with wheels, or one event with a two-wheeled vehicle? Because Electric Bicycle sounds quite hard.

Agree that the bucket or something like it is probable. Maybe two cans off to one side with a bonus for how close together you put them, like Div C EV had. I don't think the balance between speed and accuracy will change much.

builder83

Postby builder83 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:45 pm

Why wouldn't you want to reward speed more? Accuracy was weighted too heavily I think, but each year is different.

And I was refering to 2 seperate events (BB and Scrambler). Although the bike idea could be challenging.

I also saw the EV shoot between cans for high school. I think that could be pretty hard for middle school, at least most people. At my regionals, half the cars would struggle shooting through a 2 meter wide target lol.

shrewdPanther46

Postby shrewdPanther46 » May 22nd, 2018, 7:48 pm

i think theyl avoid the incorporation of freedom when it comes to electronic parts, cuz most div B ppl will get rekt by it. Cans seems a bit difficult. Even if they were to copy mousetrap with the whole going backwards thing, it would be difficult to do it mechanically w/o arduino and such aids, although it would still be possible.

windu34
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » May 22nd, 2018, 8:09 pm

also saw the EV shoot between cans for high school. I think that could be pretty hard for middle school, at least most people. At my regionals, half the cars would struggle shooting through a 2 meter wide target lol.

I agree that shooting through cans in a curve is too difficult for middle school, but its certainly still a possibility. Even with calipers, it was tough for us div C people to make it accurate and repeatable and the build process itself was quite complex depending on how you decided to attach it, but it does make for an interesting challenge.
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org
windu34's Userpage

Event Supervisor for 2019:
MIT - Mission Possible
Harvard - Sounds of Music
Princeton - Herpetology
Nationals - Circuit Lab

Return to “Battery Buggy B”