Helicopters C

alylam
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by alylam »

coachchuckaahs wrote:Lotta crashes into the walls. I did not get many times, as I was in WS most of the day.

Our team won with 3:11. I had heard that Troy was right at 3, maybe slightly better than that, and they took third.

Chuck
Albuquerque Area home Schoolers
Apparently they were 2:55, we were 2:54 :<
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

coachchuckaahs wrote:Lotta crashes into the walls. I did not get many times, as I was in WS most of the day.

Our team won with 3:11. I had heard that Troy was right at 3, maybe slightly better than that, and they took third.

Chuck
6th was around 2:40
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
vjindal
State: NY

Post by vjindal »

Chuck

What was the ceiling height?
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It was a standard racquetball court. 20 feet?

The width was an issue for many teams. We had same for region and state.

I believe biggest factor was altitude, but that was advantage for us as we live at same altitude.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

coachchuckaahs wrote:It was a standard racquetball court. 20 feet?

The width was an issue for many teams. We had same for region and state.

I believe biggest factor was altitude, but that was advantage for us as we live at same altitude.

Coach Chuck
I can confirm that width was an issue - an imperfect launch caused the heli to pin itself to the side wall and slide down, resulting in slightly less than a minute. We ended up with 32nd...which goes to show just how many teams had some sort of struggle like this.

On another note, congrats on the win to your students, Coach Chuck! I honestly wasn't too surprised to see your team perform so well. :)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Thanks. They responded well to difficulty, borne out by much testing. The primary heli hit the wall and went to the corner on the first flight, the dreaded 1-minute wall slide. They both immediately said to each other "heli 2". The backup heli was 15 seconds off the primary, but goes up very straight. That got them the 3:11. The primary was doing 3:15 in the hotel room, landing on the bed, but the rise was a bit of a risk, which did happen.

I am proud of my kids. They worked hard, built 10 sets of rotors with various changes, and at least 6 fuselages (more, depending on where you draw the line between repair and build). They tested a LOT of rubber combos, pitch changes (by heating the blade slightly) and other factors. We logged several hundred flights with about 18 columns in our log book. We totally destroyed both Nats fuselages Monday night before Nats, and they built new ones (well, 1-1/2, one motor stick survived) in 3 hours on Wednesday before we left Thursday morning. We test flew at the hotel!

Man, I'm glad its over!

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
seadog
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

did anyone see a decrease in times at the competition? I think the air density was a factor of the lower times. At home in a 9 foot ceiling my partner and I were consistently getting times of above 3:10 however at the competition we got a time of 2:40.
glouthan
State: IL

Post by glouthan »

coachchuckaahs wrote:Thanks. They responded well to difficulty, borne out by much testing. The primary heli hit the wall and went to the corner on the first flight, the dreaded 1-minute wall slide. They both immediately said to each other "heli 2". The backup heli was 15 seconds off the primary, but goes up very straight. That got them the 3:11. The primary was doing 3:15 in the hotel room, landing on the bed, but the rise was a bit of a risk, which did happen.

I am proud of my kids. They worked hard, built 10 sets of rotors with various changes, and at least 6 fuselages (more, depending on where you draw the line between repair and build). They tested a LOT of rubber combos, pitch changes (by heating the blade slightly) and other factors. We logged several hundred flights with about 18 columns in our log book. We totally destroyed both Nats fuselages Monday night before Nats, and they built new ones (well, 1-1/2, one motor stick survived) in 3 hours on Wednesday before we left Thursday morning. We test flew at the hotel!

Man, I'm glad its over!

Coach Chuck
Dang, 3:11, impressive time and a coincidence because I believe that is the exact same time that won the nationals helicopter event in 2012!

Did your team use the Freedom Flight kit or a homemade design? Would you mind posting a picture now that the season is over because I am really curious to see the design! Congrats to your team!
Events:
2015: Bridges, Bungee, Experimental Design
2016: It's About time, Experimental Design, Helicopters (trial)
2017: Helicopters, Electric Vehicle, Experimental Design, Optics
2018: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff-E (trial)
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It was our own design. But we are on the road for a week. Yellowstone, then college visits. I'll see what I can do after that

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
Ten086

Post by Ten086 »

coachchuckaahs wrote:It was our own design. But we are on the road for a week. Yellowstone, then college visits. I'll see what I can do after that

Coach Chuck
Congrats to you and your team! Was it a triple rotor Chinook by any chance? I was hoping to see one of those at the tournament, but it seems like everyone in my time block just had the kit. Are your students willing to post a picture of their helicopter on the Best of 2018 builds page after the trip? Hope you all have fun!
Just trying my best...

Return to “Helicopters C”