State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by erico.vert »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
Eureka314 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Packing peanuts work nicely too. Except, you always have to be careful when dumping them out. ;)

Thanks! It's a gonna be a 4 hour-ish flight so it'll be interesting to hold on to it for that long, I'm really hoping that nothing breaks lol
Since you're flying, I'd advise you to store it under the seat in front of you if you can. That way you can be assured it won't be thrown around. The only reason ours got damaged on the way to an invite was because the box flipped over when going through the security conveyor belt, which is easily preventable. And the damage was really minimal anyhow.
I'd watch out for the bubble wrap approach because I've used that before and the body still ended up breaking. I'd say go with the packing peanuts since they can still move and absorb more impact with light objects. The bubble wrap can't really absorb much since the helicopter is just too light.
alylam
Division: C
State: OH

Post by alylam »

erico.vert wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Eureka314 wrote:

Thanks! It's a gonna be a 4 hour-ish flight so it'll be interesting to hold on to it for that long, I'm really hoping that nothing breaks lol
Since you're flying, I'd advise you to store it under the seat in front of you if you can. That way you can be assured it won't be thrown around. The only reason ours got damaged on the way to an invite was because the box flipped over when going through the security conveyor belt, which is easily preventable. And the damage was really minimal anyhow.
I'd watch out for the bubble wrap approach because I've used that before and the body still ended up breaking. I'd say go with the packing peanuts since they can still move and absorb more impact with light objects. The bubble wrap can't really absorb much since the helicopter is just too light.
Or you can forgo all of that and just suspend the heli in a box using hooks and binder clips so that nothing touches it. I’ve done this for several 4-5 hour bus rides and one 14 hour bus ride while having only broken helicopters during actual competitions, not in transport lol. Secure it so that it moves with the box rather than inside the box.
If you think you're going to crash then storm your feet harder

MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

when do the freedom flight kits usually get released?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

terence.tan wrote:when do the freedom flight kits usually get released?
Typically early October, but it depends on how different the rules are that year. For example, a basic Wright Stuff kit may be available earlier if there aren't any novel bonuses thrown in.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

Unome wrote:
terence.tan wrote:when do the freedom flight kits usually get released?
Typically early October, but it depends on how different the rules are that year. For example, a basic Wright Stuff kit may be available earlier if there aren't any novel bonuses thrown in.
So you are saying that this year's division B wright stuff kit could possibly be used for division C next year?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

They'll almost certainly change up some dimensions to ensure new planes are built. If you kit-bash to adjust to the rules, it is likely that you could. However, those are laser-cut ribs, so you probably would have to at least cut some new ribs. Just guessing.

And there is always the possibility that they are still thinking EWS. It was that way in early Summer Institute agendas, but now says "Wright Stuff".

That said, your first plane probably won't be your contest bird, so if you have kits laying around, build to this year's rules. You can learn build techniques, trimming, and prop/rubber matching. Then drop in new plane per rules when they are known. My philosophy in coaching is to get the kids in the gym as early as possible, no matter how good or poor the plane is. the more flying they do and data they take, the more prepared they will be.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

So...times to medal at Nationals. I'm predicting upwards of 3 min will get a medal?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

daydreamer0023 wrote:So...times to medal at Nationals. I'm predicting upwards of 3 min will get a medal?
Upwards of 3 minutes with Chinook should be a definite medal.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:So...times to medal at Nationals. I'm predicting upwards of 3 min will get a medal?
Agreed
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Blonded

Post by Blonded »

windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Agreed
I'd bet that only top 6 will have a time greater than 3 min.
EDIT: top 6 not 4

Return to “Helicopters C”