bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Helicopters C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Re: Helicopters C

Post by Unome »

Hype for Chinook bonus? :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Private Wang Fire
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Chinook bonus is back! The multiplier is a bit less than last time, but a chinook that flies for a little over a minute would still beat most of last years' coaxial times from nats.

The marker bonus is confusing:
A bonus of 10% of the flight time will be added to the flight time of a helicopter that has that has the surface of at least one blade between the leading and trailing edges and between the the leading and trailing edges and between the outermost and next inboard rib on each rotor marked with a black marker or covered with black tissue. If no ribs are present, the whole surface must be black.
What constitutes "marking" with a black marker? Is putting a small line or dot enough to get the bonus...?
Last edited by Private Wang Fire on September 5th, 2017, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Private Wang Fire wrote:Chinook bonus is back! The multiplier is a bit less than last time, but a chinook that flies for a little over a minute would still beat most of last years' coaxial times from nats.

The marker bonus is confusing:
A bonus of 10% of the flight time will be added to the flight time of a helicopter that has that has the surface of at least one blade between the leading and trailing edges and between the the leading and trailing edges and between the outermost and next inboard rib on each rotor marked with a black marker or covered with black tissue. If no ribs are present, the whole surface must be black.
What constitutes "marking" with a black marker? Is putting a small line or dot enough to get the bonus...?
You should color the entire surface described in the rule.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

The new time bonus for getting to prewind quickly seems interesting. Wonder how many teams would have gone over time in the previous season with prewinding - I know we probably did.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Rezalis
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rezalis »

Can someone explain to me the chinook bonus, please? The rules say, "Teams with a helicopter with non-coaxial rotors whose axes of rotation are separated by at least the radius of the rotors (e.g., Chinook or Piasecki style) must have their recorded flight time multiplied by 2.5 for scoring purposes." (2018 SciOly Rules). Does that mean if you build a chinook you get 2.5 multiplied to the time score? For example, 1minute = 2.5minutes if chinook?
2018 Events
Mission, Mousetrap, Towers, Helicopters, Hovercraft
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Rezalis wrote:Can someone explain to me the chinook bonus, please? The rules say, "Teams with a helicopter with non-coaxial rotors whose axes of rotation are separated by at least the radius of the rotors (e.g., Chinook or Piasecki style) must have their recorded flight time multiplied by 2.5 for scoring purposes." (2018 SciOly Rules). Does that mean if you build a chinook you get 2.5 multiplied to the time score? For example, 1minute = 2.5minutes if chinook?
It's exactly that, hence why it's so valuable. Creating a Chinook that flies is very difficult (though I would argue, not quite as difficult as that bonus implies - in 2012 the Nationals winner had a Chinook that flew for over 3 minutes).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Since a chinook design would have two rubber motors, it would seem that you would almost certainly forego the 5% bonus on prep time, but trading for a 2.5X kicker, probably worth it. Perhaps both team members need to wind in tandem!

Any thoughts as to when they start the pre-flight timing? Will they give a chance to get to the winding table, or will space near check-in be at a premium? (Same issue in Wright Stuff). I would hope the team can carefully take their flying machines to their tables before time starts, but I suspect they will start as soon as weigh-in is complete.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

coachchuckaahs wrote:Since a chinook design would have two rubber motors, it would seem that you would almost certainly forego the 5% bonus on prep time, but trading for a 2.5X kicker, probably worth it. Perhaps both team members need to wind in tandem!

Any thoughts as to when they start the pre-flight timing? Will they give a chance to get to the winding table, or will space near check-in be at a premium? (Same issue in Wright Stuff). I would hope the team can carefully take their flying machines to their tables before time starts, but I suspect they will start as soon as weigh-in is complete.

Coach Chuck
I've seen a Chinook I believe ran on a single motor, constructed by Roy White.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

bernard wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:Since a chinook design would have two rubber motors, it would seem that you would almost certainly forego the 5% bonus on prep time, but trading for a 2.5X kicker, probably worth it. Perhaps both team members need to wind in tandem!

Coach Chuck
I've seen a Chinook I believe ran on a single motor, constructed by Roy White.
Yup, link's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWpXVMFwWw
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

Return to “Helicopters C”