Helicopters C

MGoGolf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by MGoGolf » January 11th, 2018, 12:27 pm

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
MGoGolf wrote:
Thank you! Assuming two motors are used, it would seem difficult to have a team of 2 wind up two motors, attach, and set off at the same time.
Make one of the stooges shown in the back of the FFM kit instructions
Thanks again, but I don't have the FFM kit. By the time I became a coach, they were no longer available. I read even some pre-orders weren't going to arrive in time. Would love to see the instructions.

coachchuckaahs
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs » January 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm

A plan for the Stooge can be found in another posting at viewtopic.php?f=272&t=11171&start=23.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

daydreamer0023
Division: Grad
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Post by daydreamer0023 » January 11th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Does the twisting of o-rings influence the performance of the rubber motor during flight? I'm having some problems with times being consistent with the same rubber (not the usual time patterns I'm use to seeing) - one time the flight went down about 30 sec earlier than expected. :P
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!

bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 » January 12th, 2018, 8:18 am

Daydreamer,

Twist of the o-ring will not cause this variance in flight time. Is this with the exact same rubber motor? If so, are you able to get a 1 or 2 more winder turns on the motor with each use for the first 3-4 uses? This should be possible and will usually help make duration more consistent. A couple more ideas: knots rubbing on the motor stick can cause variation in duration if one flight has more rubbing and another flight has less, o-ring not centered on the rotor shaft hook and/or o-ring “climbing” around the shaft hook more on one flight than another, very smooth winding technique with the last winds completed as the motor is “flight length” and then loading the motor on the stick without allowing it to collapse in length and be pulled back to flight length also helps create a motor that will unwind smoothly.

All of the above being said, my observations are that there is more duration variation in the Heli flying than in Wright Stuff. Our typical variation is 5-10 seconds.

Brian T

bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 » January 12th, 2018, 8:22 am

One more thought; you may be right on the edge of the usable rubber thickness(density actually, thickness is not the way to compare rubber). So maybe slightly thicker rubber.

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Post by daydreamer0023 » January 12th, 2018, 6:27 pm

bjt4888 wrote:Daydreamer,

Twist of the o-ring will not cause this variance in flight time. Is this with the exact same rubber motor? If so, are you able to get a 1 or 2 more winder turns on the motor with each use for the first 3-4 uses? This should be possible and will usually help make duration more consistent. A couple more ideas: knots rubbing on the motor stick can cause variation in duration if one flight has more rubbing and another flight has less, o-ring not centered on the rotor shaft hook and/or o-ring “climbing” around the shaft hook more on one flight than another, very smooth winding technique with the last winds completed as the motor is “flight length” and then loading the motor on the stick without allowing it to collapse in length and be pulled back to flight length also helps create a motor that will unwind smoothly.

All of the above being said, my observations are that there is more duration variation in the Heli flying than in Wright Stuff. Our typical variation is 5-10 seconds.

Brian T
Based on your possible scenarios, I suspect it was the o-ring not being centered. How would you make sure it is properly centered (while trying your hardest not to break the motorstick)?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 » January 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm

If the o-ring “crawls” around the side of the rotor shaft hook when attaching the wound motor, you can fix by gripping the motor between thumb and forefinger tightly right next to the o-ring and then letting go of the rotor to let it spin a few turns. This will unwind the o-ring only and allow you to reposition it centered on the point of the hook. You’ll see from my pictures that UnoMe posted that we use a diamond shaped hook to help center the o-ring. This is not the best hook (reverse-s with hard plastic o-rings is best) but it works pretty good with the black rubber o-ring.

Brian T

daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 » January 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm

bjt4888 wrote:If the o-ring “crawls” around the side of the rotor shaft hook when attaching the wound motor, you can fix by gripping the motor between thumb and forefinger tightly right next to the o-ring and then letting go of the rotor to let it spin a few turns. This will unwind the o-ring only and allow you to reposition it centered on the point of the hook. You’ll see from my pictures that UnoMe posted that we use a diamond shaped hook to help center the o-ring. This is not the best hook (reverse-s with hard plastic o-rings is best) but it works pretty good with the black rubber o-ring.

Brian T
Cool, thank you! :)

dhdarren
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by dhdarren » January 14th, 2018, 2:53 pm

When flying my helicopter, I have been experiencing issues with the knot in the motors getting caught against the motor stick. Not sure how much it actually affects performance, but it definitely makes some unsettling noises when the knot keeps making snapping noises as it moves against the motor stick. Where should the knot be positioned when winding it (in the middle of next to an o-ring), or is there any other solution to this?
2015:
R | S
Bridge: 1 | 8
AirTraj: 5 | 26
WS: 12 | 9
Scrambler: 6 | 17
DP: 7 | X

2016:
Bridge: 2 | 15
AirTraj: 2 | 6
WS: 3 | 11
DP: 4 | 15
GeoMap: 4 | 25

2017:
Heli: 1 | 1
Hover: 1 | 4
Towers: 2 | 15
DP: 1 | 6
Wind: 2 | 8
2018:
R | S
Heli:
Hover:
Towers:
DP:
Eco:
MV:[/b]

ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 » January 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm

dhdarren wrote:When flying my helicopter, I have been experiencing issues with the knot in the motors getting caught against the motor stick. Not sure how much it actually affects performance, but it definitely makes some unsettling noises when the knot keeps making snapping noises as it moves against the motor stick. Where should the knot be positioned when winding it (in the middle of next to an o-ring), or is there any other solution to this?
Chinook or coaxial?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9