Carbon Fiber Safety

dmis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Carbon Fiber Safety

Post by dmis »

Hi,
Now that FF kits include several forms of carbon fiber, I am a bit worried about the potential hazards of working with the fibers. Someone on my team mentioned that they think they got a splinter from the thread. Has anyone had any incident from the cf, or are there any specific safety precautions your team takes. Am I just being paranoid?
Thanks,
Daniel
shrewdPanther46
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Carbon Fiber Safety

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I never did helicopters, so I am not sure about what needs to be done with the carbon fiber, but I am 99.9% there is nothing to worry about. Its used in everyone's wright stuff planes, and it is perfectly safe. :D
daydreamer0023
Division: Grad

Post by daydreamer0023 »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:I never did helicopters, so I am not sure about what needs to be done with the carbon fiber, but I am 99.9% there is nothing to worry about. Its used in everyone's wright stuff planes, and it is perfectly safe. :D
I'm not sure how they would have gotten a splinter unless they broke the fiber...? I've worked with it all last year and I was perfectly fine. This is the first time I've heard of people getting splinters from CF - usually it's wood splinters (but I haven't gotten any even then).
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

I have used CF of various sorts for many years in my hobby (R/C airplanes). In the forms most used for Wright Stuff and Heli (0.020 rods, tow) it would be hard to get splinters. I suppose if a less-than-clean cut was made on the CF rod, splinters are possible. But the rod is so small, it is easily cleanly cut with a blade. We have used some carbon laminate, 0.005 and 0.007 thick, which is basically tow that has been formed into stiff sheets. Thin strips of this can present splinters. Rubbing it down with CA, the kids put a piece of plastic baggie on their finger, and I have yet to see a splinter break through the baggie. But with tow, I have never experienced splinters.

Coach Chuck
AAHS
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
jajefan
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jajefan »

dmis, The only thing I would worry about carbon fiber isn't about getting a splinter from one of them, but potentially having to sand them. Sanding them introduces the fibres into the air, where they act like tiny little spears that when breathed in (without proper ventilation and masks), can act as carcinogens and stay in the lungs. The possibility of any of this needing to be done is extremely low, however, so you don't have to worry about having any of that happen. Be aware, though, if you do indeed sand it, to do it in a well-ventilated place with proper protection.
Mouse, Wright, Circuit, Astro
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

You will not do a lot of sanding on CF rod, so you will have minimal exposure. If you use 320 grit paper, the particles will be very very small.
If you are worried about it, a cheap 3M paper face filter will remove all fears. If you are still worried about it, do not use CF.

Return to “Helicopters C”