Freedom Flight Kit

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freedom Flight Kit

Post by retired1 »

NerdyAthlete wrote:Anyone having trouble with tight thrust bearings? I have the same amount of torque on both motors but I'm getting less turns on one of the rotors due to the bearing not spinning in its collar smoothly.
I do not understand what you are calling thrust bearings. I am not familiar with "spinning in their collar.
In what I have built over the years the wire hook spins inside of the bearing.
Please reply.
JojoCho
State: GA

Post by JojoCho »

Anyone have the same issue of when the heli hits the wall it just basically falls down to the ground? Or what are you doing to prevent the heli from hitting the wall? Because once it does the heli is no longer balanced and the flight is pretty much over. Normally the heli I use can go for 2 minutes if it doesn't hit the wall, but if it does rip.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

JojoCho wrote:Anyone have the same issue of when the heli hits the wall it just basically falls down to the ground? Or what are you doing to prevent the heli from hitting the wall? Because once it does the heli is no longer balanced and the flight is pretty much over. Normally the heli I use can go for 2 minutes if it doesn't hit the wall, but if it does rip.

I get that issue all the time. Check for air drafts, and make sure that both rotors are producing equal torque to get your helicopter up steadily.

What happens when you hit the wall is that the wall serves as friction, and when a rotor hits it, it'll slow down and wack the wall (rip torque). The rotor on the other side will be producing significantly more torque, and the helicopter will land on the wall. Gravity pulls it down after that.

I let the rotors spin for around 1-2 seconds before releasing to try to get rid of any imbalances in the winding.

Good luck flying!
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Unome

Post by Unome »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
JojoCho wrote:Anyone have the same issue of when the heli hits the wall it just basically falls down to the ground? Or what are you doing to prevent the heli from hitting the wall? Because once it does the heli is no longer balanced and the flight is pretty much over. Normally the heli I use can go for 2 minutes if it doesn't hit the wall, but if it does rip.

I get that issue all the time. Check for air drafts, and make sure that both rotors are producing equal torque to get your helicopter up steadily.

What happens when you hit the wall is that the wall serves as friction, and when a rotor hits it, it'll slow down and wack the wall (rip torque). The rotor on the other side will be producing significantly more torque, and the helicopter will land on the wall. Gravity pulls it down after that.

I let the rotors spin for around 1-2 seconds before releasing to try to get rid of any imbalances in the winding.

Good luck flying!
The problem occurs when one cannot control the air drafts.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

The air drafts aren't right... It should be who had the best helicopter should win, not who can avoid the drafts the most. It shouldn't even be a factor. My biggest nightmare is a draft.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
NerdyAthlete
State: ID

Post by NerdyAthlete »

retired1 wrote:
NerdyAthlete wrote:Anyone having trouble with tight thrust bearings? I have the same amount of torque on both motors but I'm getting less turns on one of the rotors due to the bearing not spinning in its collar smoothly.
I do not understand what you are calling thrust bearings. I am not familiar with "spinning in their collar.
In what I have built over the years the wire hook spins inside of the bearing.
Please reply.
Sorry for the confusion, the wire was getting pinched inside the bearing. I've replaced the wire and bearing and am now getting full turns on both rotors.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

In terms of air drafts, hopefully at Nationals the rooms will be well controlled. Unlike last year's axial heli's, the Chinook design does not like walls. The axial design bounced off the wall quite well. It will be imperative to read the room, and launch in such a place as to minimize the chance of drifting into a wall. It appears Nationals will be in Racquetball court again, so the space is not large. We had severe drift at Regionals, which limited us to 2:35 before the wall sucked us in. At State, there was no drift, so no problem, we got our full flight.

I suppose you could come up with some sort of bumper system at the top of the heli, but these heli's are already weight-challenged.

As in any indoor flying event, reading the room will be a critical observation before flying.

Coach Chuck
Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Unome

Post by Unome »

coachchuckaahs wrote:In terms of air drafts, hopefully at Nationals the rooms will be well controlled. Unlike last year's axial heli's, the Chinook design does not like walls. The axial design bounced off the wall quite well. It will be imperative to read the room, and launch in such a place as to minimize the chance of drifting into a wall. It appears Nationals will be in Racquetball court again, so the space is not large. We had severe drift at Regionals, which limited us to 2:35 before the wall sucked us in. At State, there was no drift, so no problem, we got our full flight.

I suppose you could come up with some sort of bumper system at the top of the heli, but these heli's are already weight-challenged.

As in any indoor flying event, reading the room will be a critical observation before flying.

Coach Chuck
Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers
Is this 2:35 chinook? If so, the full time must be quite impressive...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Yes, that was raw time with Chinook. The kids did a good job (much better than other teams) at reading the room, so they got a good percentage of full flight before it hit the wall.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Helicopters C”