Freedom Flight Kit

SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freedom Flight Kit

Post by SluffAndRuff »

The instructions to not explicitly state this (as far as I saw), but many teams crumpled their mylar before placing it on the rotors. The pictures appear to do the same, but once again, I can't find this stated in the instructions. Is this the proper way of building it? Thanks!
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

SluffAndRuff wrote:The instructions to not explicitly state this (as far as I saw), but many teams crumpled their mylar before placing it on the rotors. The pictures appear to do the same, but once again, I can't find this stated in the instructions. Is this the proper way of building it? Thanks!
Crumpling is the proper way to cover the rotors. Supposedly it has a similar benefit to the dimples on a golf ball.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

It also helps it to follow the compound curves.

Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Raleway »

SluffAndRuff wrote:The instructions to not explicitly state this (as far as I saw), but many teams crumpled their mylar before placing it on the rotors. The pictures appear to do the same, but once again, I can't find this stated in the instructions. Is this the proper way of building it? Thanks!
The instructions clearly state to not crinkle for the fins as they do not contain curvature; however crinkling for the rotors is essential to have the mylar perform at its best (they have curvature). Good luck!
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
DaPlug
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaPlug »

For those who are building with this kit, what are the lowest weights you guys are achieving with the body by itself without rotors and for a rotor on its own?
Mira Loma High School
2016:
Air Trajectory/Robot Arm/Wright Stuff/Game On
Regionals: 7/2/2/1
States: 3/2/4/2
Nationals: 4/1/3/-
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

DaPlug,

As close as you can get to 2.0 grams for the completed fuselage framework and 1.0 grams for the completed rotor set. We use a couple minor modifications to get close to these weights.

Brian T
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

Tips on minimizing drift? I haven't had the chance to practice at the school gym yet, but based off of a few practice flights at home (low flat basement ceiling, and low torque launch at a very high but steeped ceiling in a living room) my helicopter is drifting quite a bit (maybe 8-10 feet?).

I'm concerned because the school gym has a bunch of obstacles on the ceiling - nets, basketball hoops, ceiling fans, etc. that the helicopter can easily get stuck on or damaged.

My motors are the same weight and being launched at the same torque so I'm not sure what's the problem. Advice on how to make the chinook drift less?
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Jssper,

Not sure this will work, but possibly adjusting the alignment of the 90 degree vertical stabilizers by loosening a top truss thread and reattaching after repositioning slightly. We attach truss threads with Duco so that they can be loosened with acetone ( except for start and end point with CA).

Brian T
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

bjt4888 wrote:Jasper,

Not sure this will work, but possibly adjusting the alignment of the 90 degree vertical stabilizers by loosening a top truss thread and reattaching after repositioning slightly. We attach truss threads with Duco so that they can be loosened with acetone ( except for start and end point with CA).

Brian T
Brian,

Thank you for the suggestion! I reevaluated my helicopter soon after posting and realized one of the rotors was slightly tilted due to poor gluing of the front end hooks. With some adjustment, the drifting reduced a lot. I glued the threads with CA, so I haven't tried adjusting the perpendicular vertical stabilizers. I'm not sure if that will work either, but the suggestion of gluing the kevlar thread with Duco is definitely something I'll use with the second helicopter I'm in the process of building.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
torqueburner
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

I will be supervising helicopter at an Invitational tournament next week. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion of a good way to support a FF chinook copter on a scale to determine the mass. For a conventional helicopter, I've used what I use with airplanes - a block of foam on a stand with a horizontal slit that accepts the fuselage. I've not actually seen one of these, so I have no idea whether this type of stand will work, or if I need something different.

Dave D.

Return to “Helicopters C”