Freedom Flight Kit

Rêveur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freedom Flight Kit

Post by Rêveur »

torqueburner wrote:I will be supervising helicopter at an Invitational tournament next week. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion of a good way to support a FF chinook copter on a scale to determine the mass. For a conventional helicopter, I've used what I use with airplanes - a block of foam on a stand with a horizontal slit that accepts the fuselage. I've not actually seen one of these, so I have no idea whether this type of stand will work, or if I need something different.

Dave D.
You can also have teams just weigh in the helicopter upside-down. Works for me every time, the helicopter should balance itself out
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

coachchuckaahs wrote:. . .I think you need to be creative due to different designs. Might pay to have a flat surface (Chinook kits), a foam block (conventional axials), and perhaps some Solo cups and scissors that you could cut some slots to fit specialized heli's?

Coach Chuck
Thanks, Chuck, Ten086, and Unome for your suggestions. I'll try to be prepared for all variations.

Dave .
legitimately
State: NY

Post by legitimately »

Is anyone having trouble with the strength of the fuselages? Our helicopters fly fine, but the fuselages tend to snap a lot (it's usually the part not covered by carbon fiber)
memeus
State: KS

Post by memeus »

How are you all determining the direction to wind? I've been messing up too many times for comfort.
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

memeus wrote:How are you all determining the direction to wind? I've been messing up too many times for comfort.
While coloring part of the rotors in with black sharpie, the part that didn't need to be completely black I drew a smiley face on, noting that was always the one to wind clockwise. You could just write CW or CCW, but it's easier to do before you actually cover the rotors.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
Alke
State: VA

Post by Alke »

Hi everyone!

This is my first time doing an aviation event! I just built the FFM kit and the first Helicopter turned out great! However, we are having problems with launching the helicopter and keeping the mass low. After 10 flights, the motor stick snapped in the middle. The carbon fiber tow is still intact.

What procedure do you use to launch the helicopter? What are some tips for reducing the weight? What am I doing wrong that causes the motor stick to snap?

Thank you so much!
sciencegirl03
State: MI

Post by sciencegirl03 »

Alke wrote:Hi everyone!

This is my first time doing an aviation event! I just built the FFM kit and the first Helicopter turned out great! However, we are having problems with launching the helicopter and keeping the mass low. After 10 flights, the motor stick snapped in the middle. The carbon fiber tow is still intact.

What procedure do you use to launch the helicopter? What are some tips for reducing the weight? What am I doing wrong that causes the motor stick to snap?

Thank you so much!
You hold the helicopter with both hands and just let go for launching.
We had issues with motor stick snapping too. You could coat it with a thin layer of CA while building to add strength, but the trade off is the added weight. Do you have the jig for holding the helicopter? That'll help keep the stress off the motors sticks while putting the rubberbands on. Hope this helps.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
NerdyAthlete
State: ID

Post by NerdyAthlete »

What is the best way to retrieve a pusher prop heli like the FF model? It seems like the props could be very easily damaged when it impacts the ground.
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

NerdyAthlete wrote:What is the best way to retrieve a pusher prop heli like the FF model? It seems like the props could be very easily damaged when it impacts the ground.
I like to grab mine by the top, then flip it over and rest it on the ground to finish any extra winds that may still be left. I've never had a single rotor damaged from hitting the ground (I've built over 12). When it starts smacking the walls of my house though... that's a different story. :cry:
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
NerdyAthlete
State: ID

Post by NerdyAthlete »

Anyone having trouble with tight thrust bearings? I have the same amount of torque on both motors but I'm getting less turns on one of the rotors due to the bearing not spinning in its collar smoothly.

Return to “Helicopters C”