Chinook Chat!

Ash123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chinook Chat!

Post by Ash123 »

bjt4888 wrote:1k carbon tow, applied with two coats of duco thinned 50/50 with acetone, also pre glue wood with one coat of the glue adds 0.005 grams per inch. Start with very light 1/16" square wood (less than 5.0 lb per cubic foot) and apply the carbon to two sides.

Brian T
Hey Brian
I just wanted to verify: for the CF, are you saying we should by a sheet and layer a strip of it onto the motor sticks of chinook?
bjt4888
Division: C
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Ash,

This was in response to vjindahl’s question about reinforcing the perpendicular fins, which are made of 1/16” lightweight sticks. 1k carbon tow would not be strong enough reinforcement for the fuselage. Dave supplies 3k tow in the kit for the fuselage reinforcement.

Brian T
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

bjt4888 wrote:Ash,

This was in response to vjindahl’s question about reinforcing the perpendicular fins, which are made of 1/16” lightweight sticks. 1k carbon tow would not be strong enough reinforcement for the fuselage. Dave supplies 3k tow in the kit for the fuselage reinforcement.

Brian T
Brian
Thanks! That really helps. The reinforce the fuselage though, should it be best to just wrap the CF around the motor sticks once? Or would it be better to surround the wooden spars with a carbon fiber tube. Also is there any specific diameter for the motor sticks that you would recommend?
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Ash,

The Freedom Flight kit uses thin sheet motor sticks with one strip of 3k carbon tow attached to each side. This is one possible fuselage method. You could try winding carbon around the motor sticks, but I would think that this method would add excessive weight if enough carbon and glue was used to provide adequate stiffness.

Brian T.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

Does anyone have any advice for transporting chinooks? We've had some troubles transporting our helicopters to competitions and I'm trying to figure out the best way to safely bring the helicopters on a plane.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

The Freedom Flight kit uses thin sheet motor sticks with one strip of 3k carbon tow attached to each side. This is one possible fuselage method. You could try winding carbon around the motor sticks, but I would think that this method would add excessive weight if enough carbon and glue was used to provide adequate stiffness.

Brian T.
Ok, got It! Thanks! Also, I’m still having a little trouble with my motto stick design- I throes to design it using thin sheets of wood but I don’t know how I would hook the Rubber band on a thin sheet of wood, cause there’s nowhere to put the hooks. I thought about using the motor stick design that most axial helicopters use, but I think it would be too heavy.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Ash,

I included a picture of a rubber motor rear hook in a previous Wright Stuff thread (maybe 2014 or 2015) that would work.

I would need help from someone with more expertise on this forum to find this picture.

Brian T.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I included a picture of a rubber motor rear hook in a previous Wright Stuff thread (maybe 2014 or 2015) that would work.

I would need help from someone with more expertise on this forum to find this picture.

Brian T.
Do you recall the approximate time of the year that the post was?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Unome,

Seems like I would have posted that picture early in the 2014 season for Wright Stuff.

Brian T
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Return to “Helicopters C”