glouthan
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Times

Post by glouthan »

DHess wrote:
sciencegirl03 wrote:Any updates on best times at regionals/states?
In Illinois, it looks like the best raw chinook times are around 1:40 but that is before state so who knows what could wind up being the top time.
Do you happen to remember which team flew this time?
Events:
2015: Bridges, Bungee, Experimental Design
2016: It's About time, Experimental Design, Helicopters (trial)
2017: Helicopters, Electric Vehicle, Experimental Design, Optics
2018: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff-E (trial)
erico.vert
Division: C
State: MD

Post by erico.vert »

Maryland had their state competition yesterday and we got first place with a raw time of 2:05. So I guess you guys can use that kinda as a base line.
glouthan

Post by glouthan »

2nd place time at the Illinois State Competition was made by Jones College Prep with a triple rotor chinook that had a raw time of 3:01.63; does anyone know what Stevenson's first place time was?
Last edited by glouthan on April 22nd, 2018, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Events:
2018: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Wright Stuff-E (trial)
SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA

Post by SluffAndRuff »

glouthan wrote:2nd place time at the Illinois State Competition was made by Jones College Prep with a triple rotor chinook that had a raw time of 3:01.63, does anyone know what Stevenson's first place time was?
Three rotors? So non-FF may show up at Nats after all...
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

glouthan wrote:2nd place time at the Illinois State Competition was made by Jones College Prep with a triple rotor chinook that had a raw time of 3:01.63, does anyone know what Stevenson's first place time was?
Wow, two top times above 3 min? That's amazing! What was the ceiling height?
SluffAndRuff wrote:Three rotors? So non-FF may show up at Nats after all...
The Albuquerque Area Homeschools aren't using FF and they've been getting some solid times. And they're headed to Nats.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
glouthan

Post by glouthan »

SluffAndRuff wrote:
I believe our school was one of the only teams using a non FF kit (at least for a chinook design). We always like to build without the kit because there is so much more to be learned and the end results are always more satisfying and it's fun to try new things like our three rotor design. Luckily we had some competitive results this year, but alas we will not be headed to nationals. Good to hear though that there will be some original designs at nats because those are always more fun to see!

And Daydreamer, the ceiling height was approx. 95 feet (Held in the UIUC Armory) so that probably accounted for maybe 20 or so seconds extra flight time! (at least for our team's helicopter)
Events:
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

glouthan wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:
I believe our school was one of the only teams using a non FF kit (at least for a chinook design). We always like to build without the kit because there is so much more to be learned and the end results are always more satisfying and it's fun to try new things like our three rotor design. Luckily we had some competitive results this year, but alas we will not be headed to nationals. Good to hear though that there will be some original designs at nats because those are always more fun to see!

And Daydreamer, the ceiling height was approx. 95 feet (Held in the UIUC Armory) so that probably accounted for maybe 20 or so seconds extra flight time! (at least for our team's helicopter)
That's interesting. Did most team's Helis reach the ceiling or did they just hover at about the halfway mark. That's a crazy high ceiling.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA

Post by SluffAndRuff »

glouthan wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:

I'm really curious - how did you balance the forces in a three rotor design, to make sure the heli didn't tilt or spin?
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
glouthan

Post by glouthan »

Daydreamer, our device planted itself onto the ceiling for about 2 minutes (30 seconds on the upward trip and 30 sec descent for 3 min total) so the top times did go all the way up but I did see a few that were around 1:45 with a no-touch flight hovering just below the girders of the ceiling.
Events:
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

glouthan wrote:Daydreamer, our device planted itself onto the ceiling for about 2 minutes (30 seconds on the upward trip and 30 sec descent for 3 min total) so the top times did go all the way up but I did see a few that were around 1:45 with a no-touch flight hovering just below the girders of the ceiling.
Nice! Sorry for all the questions, but did any Helis get stuck in the girders?

Return to “Helicopters C”