Final Action

PM2017
State: -

Final Action

Postby PM2017 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:18 pm

How are people planning on doing the recording while still getting the single battery bonus?
(I'm thinking of finding a way to attach wires to the recorder, where there would normally be the battery.)
2018 Events : Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

Favorite Inspirational Quote: "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." (Attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

andrew lorino
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Final Action

Postby andrew lorino » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm

PM2017 wrote:How are people planning on doing the recording while still getting the single battery bonus?
(I'm thinking of finding a way to attach wires to the recorder, where there would normally be the battery.)

We found some chips online that you can record a message on and have it activated by light (used for stationery).

Kyanite
State: WA

Postby Kyanite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 am

PM2017 wrote:How are people planning on doing the recording while still getting the single battery bonus?

Could use a phonograph
The best builds are built after 1 am
CHS https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Camas_High_School
Guess I am good at Rocks?

Snarknado

Postby Snarknado » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Kyanite wrote:

Could use a phonograph

Yes, there's a fine merchant from Austria-Hungary. You'll need make haste though if you want it shipped express, as the Ottomans are doing repairs on the Berlin-Baghdad railway for the winter.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"

andrew lorino

Postby andrew lorino » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Kyanite wrote:

Could use a phonograph

Or a trained parrot. ;)

ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Postby ScottMaurer19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 pm

andrew lorino wrote:
Kyanite wrote:

Could use a phonograph

Or a trained parrot. ;)

*nut rolls down track to cage* "The End"
Div B Nats:
2016 ELG: 6th, Fossils: 1st
2015 Dynamic: 3rd, Fossils: 2nd
2014 Dynamic: 5th, Rocks: 9th

2017 Events (r/s/n):
Hydrogeo: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 Events:
Helicopters
Herpetology
Mission Possible
Rocks & Minerals
(Dynamic, Ecology)

Kyanite

Postby Kyanite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 pm

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
Kyanite wrote:
Could use a phonograph

Or a trained parrot. ;)

*nut rolls down track to cage* "The End"

I was thinking on hiring a kid to hide under the table and whisper the end.

Snarknado

Postby Snarknado » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:09 am

I believe you should be able to just attach a larger battery to your recorder. At an invitational last Saturday I ended up using a single 9V battery to power mine, even though it was designed to run on two AA batteries in series. However, you may want to be cautious, especially if it's a more expensive/fragile device, as you could potentially damage it.

You could try to use resistors to lower the voltage in the system, but lacking the time or patience to integrate such as solution, I directly connected my 9V at the cost of temporarily losing the recorder's display, but luckily didn't lose the recorder functionality.

Kyanite wrote:Could use a phonograph

While I made a roast attempt on Kyanite earlier, you could use an non-digital format of audio, but I think a tape player or vinyl record player would probably work better than a phonograph, but ultimately you'd still face the same issues with power as you would with a digital media player that would be much easier to work with.
Snarknado's Userpage

Kyanite

Postby Kyanite » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Snarknado wrote:

I believe you should be able to just attach a larger battery to your recorder. At an invitational last Saturday I ended up using a single 9V battery to power mine, even though it was designed to run on two AA batteries in series. However, you may want to be cautious, especially if it's a more expensive/fragile device, as you could potentially damage it.

You could try to use resistors to lower the voltage in the system, but lacking the time or patience to integrate such as solution, I directly connected my 9V at the cost of temporarily losing the recorder's display, but luckily didn't lose the recorder functionality.

Kyanite wrote:Could use a phonograph

While I made a roast attempt on Kyanite earlier, you could use an non-digital format of audio, but I think a tape player or vinyl record player would probably work better than a phonograph, but ultimately you'd still face the same issues with power as you would with a digital media player that would be much easier to work with.

Perhaps, but using a falling weight to turn a phonograph would be relatively easy, only issue is how quiet phonographs are.

antigem
State: -

Postby antigem » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:40 pm

andrew lorino wrote:

We found some chips online that you can record a message on and have it activated by light (used for stationery).

Where did you find those? I might have to try that if my original idea doesn't work
Clods!

she/her pronouns please

2018 events I'm in:
Game On
Write it Do it
Mission Possible
Thermodynamics

andrew lorino

Postby andrew lorino » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 pm

antigem wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

Where did you find those? I might have to try that if my original idea doesn't work

Amazon? I think? I also just thought of those toy microphones that can record a sample.

Snarknado

Postby Snarknado » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm

andrew lorino wrote:
antigem wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

Amazon? I think? I also just thought of those toy microphones that can record a sample.

How about a Furby in your box? 8-)
Snarknado's Userpage

andrew lorino

Postby andrew lorino » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Snarknado wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
antigem wrote:

Weights falling on Speak and Spell keys in just the right order? An infinitely long music box to make a Fourier series?

Kyanite

Postby Kyanite » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Snarknado wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
antigem wrote:

I feel that a Furby included in the process should be worth at least 50 points in the competition, not to mention, imagine getting beat by a
Furby.

Return to “Mission Possible C”