Low IMA Pulley Task

davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Low IMA Pulley Task

Postby davecutting » December 30th, 2017, 2:18 pm

PM2017 wrote:
davecutting wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Where are people getting their weights? They seem ridiculously expensive.

Try your HS physics department.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, that solution isn't available to us.
One of the physics teachers at our school hates SciOly, so she won't help us. The other one doesn't have any to lend us, especially not for the whole year.

Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Ajax-Scientific- ... eel+weight

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-S ... eel+weight

I'd probably go with the second one since I can 3D print an adapter, but the first one has a nice hook on it for your string. I'd also suggest setting up some sort of linear rod with a recirculating linear ball bearing so that the weight stays where it should.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad

2018 Placements
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2nd, MIT Invy 26th, Regionals 3rd, SOUP 3rd, Statees 3rd
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11th, MIT Invy 11th, Regionals 1st, SOUP 2nd, States 2nd
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32nd

VictoryChicken
State: -

Postby VictoryChicken » January 7th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Unome wrote:
VictoryChicken wrote:
Unome wrote:Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png

Wow thanks for the illustration! Could you explain how you apply the effort in the example of the pulley system with the IMA of 0.50? Would the effort be pulled up?

No, it's pulled downward as usual (because it's better to let gravity do the work for you).

Got it. Thanks!

Ash123

Postby Ash123 » January 8th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Unome wrote:
Tesel wrote:The easier thing would be a simple block and tackle type pulley (I think that's what it's called). One fixed pulley and one movable pulley give you an IMA of 0.5 so long as you pull down on the movable pulley.

Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png

Hey! Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand the 0.5 IMA pulley. How does the effort pull down if the Circle represents the disk of the pulley? Also how would you connect that to the 7:1 pulley?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 9th, 2018, 5:09 am

Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Tesel wrote:The easier thing would be a simple block and tackle type pulley (I think that's what it's called). One fixed pulley and one movable pulley give you an IMA of 0.5 so long as you pull down on the movable pulley.

Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png

Hey! Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand the 0.5 IMA pulley. How does the effort pull down if the Circle represents the disk of the pulley? Also how would you connect that to the 7:1 pulley?

The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Ash123

Postby Ash123 » January 9th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:Agreed, this would be much easier. An illustration, for those not familiar with pulleys:

low IMA pulley.png

The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.

But how does the effort cause the pulley to move if it is connected to the disk of one of the pulleys? If I understand the diagnosis correctly, a string weaves through two disk and holds a load on one end while being fixed on the other. So how could the effort pull anything if it is connected to the disk?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » January 9th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:

But how does the effort cause the pulley to move if it is connected to the disk of one of the pulleys? If I understand the diagnosis correctly, a string weaves through two disk and holds a load on one end while being fixed on the other. So how could the effort pull anything if it is connected to the disk?

The effort is connected to the axis of the pulley via a string. If you look at a video or build it, you might understand it a little better.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Ash123

Postby Ash123 » January 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Is there any way to connect the high and low ima pulleys? I’ve been trying to think of a method but I’ve got nothing right now.

ScottMaurer19
Division: C
State: OH

Postby ScottMaurer19 » January 12th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Ash123 wrote:Is there any way to connect the high and low ima pulleys? I’ve been trying to think of a method but I’ve got nothing right now.

Yes but I'm also unwilling to share this one
SHS '19 Captain
Placements:
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019?
Dynamic
Fossils
GLM
Herp
Mission
WS

Total Top 3 Placements: 100

Ash123

Postby Ash123 » January 12th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.

The effort is connected to the axis of the pulley via a string. If you look at a video or build it, you might understand it a little better.

Ohhhh ok so I watched a few videos and i think I get it now.
So for a 2:1 pulley, the effort is on the fixed pulley and load is on the movable pulley, but for the 1:2 pulley it’s vice versa, correct?

Return to “Mission Possible C”