Mission Possible C

Locked
ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 592
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by ScottMaurer19 » February 23rd, 2018, 9:38 am

terence.tan wrote:do photocells count as an addition power source?
Shouldn't be as long as they aren't powering anything. You can also use photoconductive cells that change resistance with light levels such as the ones on Adafruit.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80

dmis
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: November 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by dmis » February 23rd, 2018, 9:46 am

terence.tan wrote:do photocells count as an addition power source?
Regardless, they would not count as another "battery source" so you would be good for the bonus.

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by terence.tan » February 23rd, 2018, 9:51 am

dmis wrote:
terence.tan wrote:do photocells count as an addition power source?
Regardless, they would not count as another "battery source" so you would be good for the bonus.
ok thanks.
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by terence.tan » February 23rd, 2018, 9:51 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:do photocells count as an addition power source?
Shouldn't be as long as they aren't powering anything. You can also use photoconductive cells that change resistance with light levels such as the ones on Adafruit.
i know what you mean but the photocells have no energy stored with in it
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 592
Joined: January 5th, 2017, 9:39 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by ScottMaurer19 » February 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am

terence.tan wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:do photocells count as an addition power source?
Shouldn't be as long as they aren't powering anything. You can also use photoconductive cells that change resistance with light levels such as the ones on Adafruit.
i know what you mean but the photocells have no energy stored with in it
Read what dmis said. More acccurate towards the rules.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by terence.tan » February 23rd, 2018, 10:09 am

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Shouldn't be as long as they aren't powering anything. You can also use photoconductive cells that change resistance with light levels such as the ones on Adafruit.
i know what you mean but the photocells have no energy stored with in it
Read what dmis said. More acccurate towards the rules.
ok :D
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

mpnobivucyxtz
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by mpnobivucyxtz » February 23rd, 2018, 10:32 am

dmis wrote: Regardless, they would not count as another "battery source" so you would be good for the bonus.
So even if they’re being powered off of ambient light and they’re powering another thing within your device, they don’t count as a power source? For reference, they’re kind of like mini solar cells.

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by terence.tan » February 23rd, 2018, 5:24 pm

in rule 5g it says:
Award 1 point per full second past 30 seconds for a non-electrical or non-spring timer if all conditions are met and the Final Action is successfully completed. (2 points if chemical)

What do they mean by "all conditions are met"
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

dmis
Member
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: November 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by dmis » February 24th, 2018, 5:30 pm

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
dmis wrote: Regardless, they would not count as another "battery source" so you would be good for the bonus.
So even if they’re being powered off of ambient light and they’re powering another thing within your device, they don’t count as a power source? For reference, they’re kind of like mini solar cells.
They may be a power source, but that is irrelevant. Let the rules be your guide...

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by dragonfruit35 » February 25th, 2018, 9:06 am

dmis wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:
dmis wrote: Regardless, they would not count as another "battery source" so you would be good for the bonus.
So even if they’re being powered off of ambient light and they’re powering another thing within your device, they don’t count as a power source? For reference, they’re kind of like mini solar cells.
They may be a power source, but that is irrelevant. Let the rules be your guide...
Are you referring to an actual solar cell or the photocells referenced in the rules for one of the tasks? Photocells are just sensors that vary their resistance based on the ambient light around them, but solar cells actually supply power.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"you have no idea how high i can fly." - michael g. scott

Locked

Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest