Mission Possible C

Ash123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by Ash123 »

If we use a commercial speaker-photocell set up that was used for music boxes, would the battery on it still count towards the battery bonus? Or are batteries used in commercial parts (as in not visible through a casing)/ batteries used for the final action exempt from the battery bonus?
absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

Ash123 wrote:If we use a commercial speaker-photocell set up that was used for music boxes, would the battery on it still count towards the battery bonus? Or are batteries used in commercial parts (as in not visible through a casing)/ batteries used for the final action exempt from the battery bonus?
I think that that would still be considered as multiple power sources even though it is inbuilt. In order to get the 100pt bonus, you can only have one power sources, so this setup would be powered by another power source. I'm sure that there is no distinction between the commercial and homemade setups.
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

absolutezerok3 wrote:
Ash123 wrote:If we use a commercial speaker-photocell set up that was used for music boxes, would the battery on it still count towards the battery bonus? Or are batteries used in commercial parts (as in not visible through a casing)/ batteries used for the final action exempt from the battery bonus?
I think that that would still be considered as multiple power sources even though it is inbuilt. In order to get the 100pt bonus, you can only have one power sources, so this setup would be powered by another power source. I'm sure that there is no distinction between the commercial and homemade setups.
Phones are considered as having an additional battery (not to mention they violate the battery policy because they have lithium batteries) so having another battery of any sort still counts as having more than one.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Does everything in an action need to stop for the action to be considered complete? Like if I use a motor for some action and the task is accomplished but the motor keeps going, which doesn’t affect the action, is that okay? Or if I fill up a balloon with a gas and after the balloon strikes an object it keeps going, is that okay?
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Ash123 wrote:Does everything in an action need to stop for the action to be considered complete? Like if I use a motor for some action and the task is accomplished but the motor keeps going, which doesn’t affect the action, is that okay? Or if I fill up a balloon with a gas and after the balloon strikes an object it rising, is that okay?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Ash123 wrote:
Ash123 wrote:Does everything in an action need to stop for the action to be considered complete? Like if I use a motor for some action and the task is accomplished but the motor keeps going, which doesn’t affect the action, is that okay? Or if I fill up a balloon with a gas and after the balloon strikes an object it rising, is that okay?
That should be good.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Since every microcontroller has to be unique to only one task, would it be okay if I used only one controller to turn on an infrared emitter, and then, by using the information taken from an infrared sensor that is connected to the same controller, turn on a servo motor that is a part of the next action (flipping a coin) that is also connected to the same microcontroller? Or is it that since the servo is part of the next action, I am not allowed to turn it on using the same microcontroller I used for the infrared?
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

Ash123 wrote:Since every microcontroller has to be unique to only one task, would it be okay if I used only one controller to turn on an infrared emitter, and then, by using the information taken from an infrared sensor that is connected to the same controller, turn on a servo motor that is a part of the next action (flipping a coin) that is also connected to the same microcontroller? Or is it that since the servo is part of the next action, I am not allowed to turn it on using the same microcontroller I used for the infrared?
Personally, I split the infrared into two microcontrollers.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

davecutting wrote:
Ash123 wrote:Since every microcontroller has to be unique to only one task, would it be okay if I used only one controller to turn on an infrared emitter, and then, by using the information taken from an infrared sensor that is connected to the same controller, turn on a servo motor that is a part of the next action (flipping a coin) that is also connected to the same microcontroller? Or is it that since the servo is part of the next action, I am not allowed to turn it on using the same microcontroller I used for the infrared?
^
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

davecutting wrote:
Yeah so did i, but my question is can I use one microcontroller to end one action and then perform the next one. Like can I use one controller to end the infrared action and also perform the coin flip action?

Return to “Mission Possible C”