Mission Possible C

DaPlug
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by DaPlug »

So are no types of lithium batteries allowed?
Mira Loma High School
2016:
Air Trajectory/Robot Arm/Wright Stuff/Game On
Regionals: 7/2/2/1
States: 3/2/4/2
Nationals: 4/1/3/-
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

DaPlug wrote:So are no types of lithium batteries allowed?
That is correct. It isn't mentioned in the rules, here's a link from Soinc saying that they aren't.
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... cy18_0.pdf
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
saathvikb02

Post by saathvikb02 »

Do you guys think HCL would be considered a "hazardous chemical" as stated in rule 2.d?
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

saathvikb02 wrote:Do you guys think HCL would be considered a "hazardous chemical" as stated in rule 2.d?
Really depends on the concentration.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
saathvikb02

Post by saathvikb02 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
saathvikb02 wrote:Do you guys think HCL would be considered a "hazardous chemical" as stated in rule 2.d?
Really depends on the concentration.
I don't really have experience with the chemicals and electricity version of MP so I don't know what the EC will say.
dmis

Post by dmis »

Also, if your reaction releases hydrogen, that would be banned as a flammable gas.
thegreengreatdragon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by thegreengreatdragon »

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on coaching this event. None of my kids want to do it this year, and the one kid who said he'd do it just informed me that he's not doing SciOly this year after all :cry: This event is very hard, so none of the kids want to even try to attempt it. We're pretty competitive when it comes to other events, but if we don't do this event at all, it'll severely lower our chances at regionals.
We live in PA, so we still have roughly 2 months before our regional competition. I think if we start now, we could at least HAVE a device. Does anyone have any advice on where to start or how to make it less scary for the kids to approach? It seems like a cool event, but my kids won't go anywhere near it. At this point, I just want a decent device to make sure this event doesn't make us tank at regionals. Like I said, we're a pretty competitive team, so I think we could make up for a mediocre MP score, but definitely not for a no-show.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

thegreengreatdragon wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on coaching this event. None of my kids want to do it this year, and the one kid who said he'd do it just informed me that he's not doing SciOly this year after all :cry: This event is very hard, so none of the kids want to even try to attempt it. We're pretty competitive when it comes to other events, but if we don't do this event at all, it'll severely lower our chances at regionals.
We live in PA, so we still have roughly 2 months before our regional competition. I think if we start now, we could at least HAVE a device. Does anyone have any advice on where to start or how to make it less scary for the kids to approach? It seems like a cool event, but my kids won't go anywhere near it. At this point, I just want a decent device to make sure this event doesn't make us tank at regionals. Like I said, we're a pretty competitive team, so I think we could make up for a mediocre MP score, but definitely not for a no-show.
Try for 4-5 easy tasks, start, end, single battery bonus, and a sand timer or such, in a small box. That should score upwards of 850 points.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:
thegreengreatdragon wrote:I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on coaching this event. None of my kids want to do it this year, and the one kid who said he'd do it just informed me that he's not doing SciOly this year after all :cry: This event is very hard, so none of the kids want to even try to attempt it. We're pretty competitive when it comes to other events, but if we don't do this event at all, it'll severely lower our chances at regionals.
Try for 4-5 easy tasks, start, end, single battery bonus, and a sand timer or such, in a small box. That should score upwards of 850 points.
Levers are pretty easy as well.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

Unome wrote:
I 3D printed a 1cm by 1 cm box that had a magnet hanging on one side holding up a watch battery got a ton of size points, one battery bonus and the start action. I just removed the magnet and the battery moved and that was my device. Scores 550 ish points.
If you cant find someone to make one. An easy machine is = get one of those speakers offline where you record a sound on it (they are about 5 cm by 5 cm by 4 cm) and then glue a section of cardboard to one side and have a magnet hold a weight up and then you remove the magnet weight drops hits button and says the end. = 100 for start, 166 for size, 250 for end action 100 for single battery bonus = 616 and then the points for write up and such. This would make you fairly competitive against other machines that dont use all 12 actions.

Return to “Mission Possible C”