Mission Possible C

ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ok I took some medium-low quality photos on my phone.
Here is my invitational device ASL accompanied by a pretty blurry photo: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AcN ... atYH8/edit

And then my Nats ASL again with a bunch of photos: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Hq ... MEbRk/edit

Let me know if there are questions :)
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:Ok I took some medium-low quality photos on my phone.
Here is my invitational device ASL accompanied by a pretty blurry photo: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AcN ... atYH8/edit

And then my Nats ASL again with a bunch of photos: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Hq ... MEbRk/edit

Let me know if there are questions :)
Very nice work Scott. The device is pretty clean, although given more time for a rebuild, It could have probably done without some of that hot glue lol. Im sorry for your troubles with the ES's ruling, the rules this year were certainly very complex and despite the immense amount of time and thought that gets out into carefully wording each and every sentence in the rules, even the large panel of nationals people that average 2-3 decades of SO experience can't anticipate every situation. Im glad you (and Nicholas) got the issue resolved and still landed in the top 6 because you very much deserved it
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

windu34 wrote: Very nice work Scott. The device is pretty clean, although given more time for a rebuild, It could have probably done without some of that hot glue lol. Im sorry for your troubles with the ES's ruling, the rules this year were certainly very complex and despite the immense amount of time and thought that gets out into carefully wording each and every sentence in the rules, even the large panel of nationals people that average 2-3 decades of SO experience can't anticipate every situation. Im glad you (and Nicholas) got the issue resolved and still landed in the top 6 because you very much deserved it
Thanks!
The hotglue actually had a functional purpose even if it pained me to use it. If I needed to repair/replace/modify most things on the device then I could simply heat up a blade, melt the glue, and pull it off. I actually ended up needing to repair both the power distibution board (the screw headers were bad) and the electromagnet and the hot glue made it easy--although not pretty--to do.

If any of the people heard the screaming from the front left when were called for mission it's because we were completely taken by surprise with that one :lol:
Last edited by ScottMaurer19 on May 23rd, 2018, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Rezalis
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rezalis »

Hey guys!
Here are some pics of our mission for the Michigan state competition this year. We placed first with all twelve tasks and a chemical timer. The entire mission was built in 5 weeks, following the completely different regional mission, and had we gone to nationals, we would have reduced the size a little more and practiced with longer run times on the chemical timer. Our mission has been very reliable and we've had no issues with it.

https://goo.gl/5eXqaK
https://goo.gl/KFgEGs
2018 Events
Mission, Mousetrap, Towers, Helicopters, Hovercraft
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Rezalis wrote:Hey guys!
Here are some pics of our mission for the Michigan state competition this year. We placed first with all twelve tasks and a chemical timer. The entire mission was built in 5 weeks, following the completely different regional mission, and had we gone to nationals, we would have reduced the size a little more and practiced with longer run times on the chemical timer. Our mission has been very reliable and we've had no issues with it.

https://goo.gl/5eXqaK
https://goo.gl/KFgEGs
Beautiful device. Thanks for sharing.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Ten086

Post by Ten086 »

Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?
Just trying my best...
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ten086 wrote:Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?
I just tested and tested and tested and recorded the temperature with the time.
I was aiming for a time of 2:35 so that all my tasks could complete with plenty of time and if something went wrong I had like 15 seconds to fix it.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Rezalis
State: MI

Post by Rezalis »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Ten086 wrote:Hey Scott, how did you calibrate your timer? :o You used Alka-Seltzer in conjunction with the balloon task, right? About how long was the maximum time you could get with the timer?
I was aiming for a time of 2:35 so that all my tasks could complete with plenty of time and if something went wrong I had like 15 seconds to fix it.
That's exactly what we did for our alka seltzer chem timer/balloon task also. We used different numbers of similar sized ice cubes to change the temperature and reaction rate. We kept the number of alka tablets constant. (1 tablet)
2018 Events
Mission, Mousetrap, Towers, Helicopters, Hovercraft
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Rezalis wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
That's exactly what we did for our alka seltzer chem timer/balloon task also. We used different numbers of similar sized ice cubes to change the temperature and reaction rate. We kept the number of alka tablets constant. (1 tablet)
I ended up taping both sides and using the extra strength alkaseltzer because it was slower than regular for some reason
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Narwhalicorn

Post by Narwhalicorn »

Anyone have any idea what the topic or tasks are going to be like for next year?

Return to “Mission Possible C”