Mission Possible C

Scooby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by Scooby »

Alex-RCHS wrote:I apologize if this has already been answered, but is using a typical sound card or sound device with a small battery in it a violation of the “having only one battery” bonus?

If so, how does one get around this?
Ya it violates the one battery bonus. Just use a resistor and hook it up to the single battery you're using.
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Scooby wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:I apologize if this has already been answered, but is using a typical sound card or sound device with a small battery in it a violation of the “having only one battery” bonus?

If so, how does one get around this?
Ya it violates the one battery bonus. Just use a resistor and hook it up to the single battery you're using.
I was able to find voice controllers that take external power. You just need to regulate the voltage down to the proper level.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
unknownuser2
Division: C

Post by unknownuser2 »

Do all the materials need to be impounded? If I plan to use an ice cube in my device and the impound is the night before am I allowed to bring it to the testing portion or do I have to find a way to keep it cold.
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

unknownuser2 wrote:Do all the materials need to be impounded? If I plan to use an ice cube in my device and the impound is the night before am I allowed to bring it to the testing portion or do I have to find a way to keep it cold.
you would have to find a way to impound the icecube
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

terence.tan wrote:
unknownuser2 wrote:Do all the materials need to be impounded? If I plan to use an ice cube in my device and the impound is the night before am I allowed to bring it to the testing portion or do I have to find a way to keep it cold.
you would have to find a way to impound the icecube
Maybe get a whole cooler full of ice, and just use one of the cubes at competition day.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

do you guys think a 1100 would be a competitive score at a state event
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

terence.tan wrote:do you guys think a 1100 would be a competitive score at a state event
The answer is going to vary widely by the state in question. For a competitive state like Ohio (where I am from), this would likely be a top 10 score at our state tournament, but certainly wouldn't be in the top three. I am unsure about New York (which I am guessing is what matters to you). I'd recommend trying to find an invitational with the top New York teams that also releases raw scores. That would be a good benchmark.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
terence.tan wrote:do you guys think a 1100 would be a competitive score at a state event
The answer is going to vary widely by the state in question. For a competitive state like Ohio (where I am from), this would likely be a top 10 score at our state tournament, but certainly wouldn't be in the top three. I am unsure about New York (which I am guessing is what matters to you). I'd recommend trying to find an invitational with the top New York teams that also releases raw scores. That would be a good benchmark.
ok thanks for the advice
mpnobivucyxtz

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

Guys, I have a couple of questions. In my device, I have a circuit that gets completed by water. I have two components in parallel, one of which is an arduino. So when the water completes the circuit, both components are powered. However, the arduino does not do anything until later (it gets set off by the first component). There are less than 10 seconds between the completion of the circuit and the final arduino task, so I don’t think it would count as an electrical timer.

Will the battery powering both at once count as a parallel task?

Also, a battery counts as a non adjustable component, right? Can I use it for both parts without needing to set up a completely separate circuit?

Thank you!!
mypenguinbuddy

Post by mypenguinbuddy »

If I have multiple arduinos, do I need to have a different breadboard for each one? I'm not sure if it counts as "adjustable".

Return to “Mission Possible C”