Balloon Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Balloon Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.i for details.

The height minimum sets some limits on how small the overall device can be, though I'm not sure whether many devices ever get near the range of 20-30 cm height. Constraining the balloon's path sounds like it would be a good idea, since it has to strike something to trigger an action.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by cuber »

hmm. I'm kinda stumped thinking of a way to initiate a gas producing reaction without compromising a seal on the balloon.

edit: I have an idea :idea: Magnets! one on either side of a test tube, suspending baking soda over vinegar. Outer magnet is pulled, drops the NaHCO3, filling the balloon with C02, no need to compromise the seal! Perhaps that could be included as the starting sequence.
Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

cuber wrote:hmm. I'm kinda stumped thinking of a way to initiate a gas producing reaction without compromising a seal on the balloon.

edit: I have an idea :idea: Magnets! one on either side of a test tube, suspending baking soda over vinegar. Outer magnet is pulled, drops the NaHCO3, filling the balloon with C02, no need to compromise the seal! Perhaps that could be included as the starting sequence.
I can probably do the math or just figure this out experimentally, but how much of the reactants do you think we'd actually need to fill a balloon?
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
andrew lorino
State: NY

Post by andrew lorino »

Snarknado wrote: I can probably do the math or just figure this out experimentally, but how much of the reactants do you think we'd actually need to fill a balloon?
This is one of those "assume a spherical cow" problems where a bunch of the requisite numbers are best found using experimentation, not models. I would do the math on the right mix of reactants, and then just use way too much.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
Snarknado wrote: I can probably do the math or just figure this out experimentally, but how much of the reactants do you think we'd actually need to fill a balloon?
This is one of those "assume a spherical cow" problems where a bunch of the requisite numbers are best found using experimentation, not models. I would do the math on the right mix of reactants, and then just use way too much.
The ideal gas law should (not) work.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

how could we shorten the time for this action? It’s talig our tests sooo long
NT '19
Harvard '23
SluffAndRuff
Division: B
State: VA

Post by SluffAndRuff »

Ashernoel wrote:how could we shorten the time for this action? It’s talig our tests sooo long
Depends what reaction you're using.

Changing temperature or ratio can often work.
()_]_[___]_[_/_]..... .. .. ... . . .
()'''''''''''''''''''''
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

cuber wrote:hmm. I'm kinda stumped thinking of a way to initiate a gas producing reaction without compromising a seal on the balloon.

How would you make the rate that the reactants mix consistent, if you use a magnet?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

PM2017 wrote:

How would you make the rate that the reactants mix consistent, if you use a magnet?
I doubt the time would vary so greatly that it would be affected. If you are using the same system it should be relatively the same.
BATMAN4562

Post by BATMAN4562 »

I am doing the same exact thing. I just test various amounts of each chemical and then record it in a data table to submit for points and then keep it constant for competition it works great.

Return to “Mission Possible C”