Balloon Task

ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

BATMAN4562 wrote:I am doing the same exact thing. I just test various amounts of each chemical and then record it in a data table to submit for points and then keep it constant for competition it works great.
^
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Snarknado
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Snarknado »

SluffAndRuff wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:how could we shorten the time for this action? It’s talig our tests sooo long
Depends what reaction you're using.

Changing temperature or ratio can often work.
I think this is what SluffAndRuff may have been getting at, but you might consider looking at other reactions, there are a fair number of fast gas-producing reactions out there.

EDIT: If you were trying to decompose H2O2 for the photochemical task earlier, I'm not totally sure what the best course there would've been. More light?
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

I'm still uncertain as to how you would hold the reactants up using a magnet. Would the solid reactant be in a little basket like thing?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
dwagner6201
State: MO

Post by dwagner6201 »

Does anyone know the definition of a balloon? Must it be a manufactured balloon or can it be homemade from Mylar or a grocery sack? Generating gas pressure to inflate something is much easier than actually inflating a balloon.
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

dwagner6201 wrote:Does anyone know the definition of a balloon? Must it be a manufactured balloon or can it be homemade from Mylar or a grocery sack? Generating gas pressure to inflate something is much easier than actually inflating a balloon.
This has already been addressed in the FAQs: https://www.soinc.org/do-balloons-have-be-commercial
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
dwagner6201 wrote:Does anyone know the definition of a balloon? Must it be a manufactured balloon or can it be homemade from Mylar or a grocery sack? Generating gas pressure to inflate something is much easier than actually inflating a balloon.
This has already been addressed in the FAQs: https://www.soinc.org/do-balloons-have-be-commercial
I'm just wondering, what is your take on ballon. because I think that a plastic bag should work
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
davecutting

Post by davecutting »

terence.tan wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
I'm just wondering, what is your take on ballon. because I think that a plastic bag should work
That's getting really close to not a balloon... why not use a long balloon? You can get ones that are really narrow. Mine are 1 inch diameter.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

This is a post made in desperation after our original idea failed.

For the balloon task, we wanted to use the decomposition of H2O2, using MnO2 as a catalyst. It failed with the 3 percent H2O2 that we used. (Failed as in only the base of the balloon swoll, maybe 1 cm, and didn't increase from there) What's worse is that we were using this for our chemical timer as well.

Advice? We have a competition in two weeks, so we're stressing out right now, so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: The only problem that we have is that this was meant to be our chemical timer, otherwise, we could just use the baking soda and vinegar.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Ash123

Ideas to protect the seal?

Post by Ash123 »

Hey Guys
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the balloon onto the vessel that contains the chemical reaction? I'm stumped on finding a way to force the balloon onto, say, a beaker filled with baking soda and vinegar.
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

PM2017 wrote:This is a post made in desperation after our original idea failed.

For the balloon task, we wanted to use the decomposition of H2O2, using MnO2 as a catalyst. It failed with the 3 percent H2O2 that we used. (Failed as in only the base of the balloon swoll, maybe 1 cm, and didn't increase from there) What's worse is that we were using this for our chemical timer as well.

Advice? We have a competition in two weeks, so we're stressing out right now, so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: The only problem that we have is that this was meant to be our chemical timer, otherwise, we could just use the baking soda and vinegar.
if you were to use baking soda and vinegar but still have the chemical timer you can put the baking soda into little pill capsules that dissolve in water. this will delay the reaction
I hope this helps
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Return to “Mission Possible C”