State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Balloon Task

Post by terence.tan »

davecutting wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
This has already been addressed in the FAQs: https://www.soinc.org/do-balloons-have-be-commercial
I'm just wondering, what is your take on ballon. because I think that a plastic bag should work
That's getting really close to not a balloon... why not use a long balloon? You can get ones that are really narrow. Mine are 1 inch diameter.
Yeah i was thinking about that at first. but never got a chance to do it. Just wondering does the long balloons ever have trouble inflating the 20 cm?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
davecutting
Division: C

Post by davecutting »

terence.tan wrote:
davecutting wrote:
terence.tan wrote: I'm just wondering, what is your take on ballon. because I think that a plastic bag should work
That's getting really close to not a balloon... why not use a long balloon? You can get ones that are really narrow. Mine are 1 inch diameter.
Yeah i was thinking about that at first. but never got a chance to do it. Just wondering does the long balloons ever have trouble inflating the 20 cm?
No, the ones I have are 60cm long. I think. They are never fully inflated, which is good because a fully inflated balloon would be risky.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

davecutting wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
davecutting wrote:
No, the ones I have are 60cm long. I think. They are never fully inflated, which is good because a fully inflated balloon would be risky.
also how do you get the baking soda into the bottle. is it already in the balloon?
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
davecutting

Post by davecutting »

terence.tan wrote:
davecutting wrote:
terence.tan wrote: Yeah i was thinking about that at first. but never got a chance to do it. Just wondering does the long balloons ever have trouble inflating the 20 cm?
also how do you get the baking soda into the bottle. is it already in the balloon?
My baking soda is not in my balloon to start. I'm not going to go into my container in detail either. Sorry ;)
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote:This is a post made in desperation after our original idea failed.

For the balloon task, we wanted to use the decomposition of H2O2, using MnO2 as a catalyst. It failed with the 3 percent H2O2 that we used. (Failed as in only the base of the balloon swoll, maybe 1 cm, and didn't increase from there) What's worse is that we were using this for our chemical timer as well.

Advice? We have a competition in two weeks, so we're stressing out right now, so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: The only problem that we have is that this was meant to be our chemical timer, otherwise, we could just use the baking soda and vinegar.
if you were to use baking soda and vinegar but still have the chemical timer you can put the baking soda into little pill capsules that dissolve in water. this will delay the reaction
I hope this helps
Thanks for the response!
Would this still count as a chemical timer, though? (I'm fine with this being a physical timer for my first comp, but it would be nice to know)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

PM2017 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote:This is a post made in desperation after our original idea failed.

For the balloon task, we wanted to use the decomposition of H2O2, using MnO2 as a catalyst. It failed with the 3 percent H2O2 that we used. (Failed as in only the base of the balloon swoll, maybe 1 cm, and didn't increase from there) What's worse is that we were using this for our chemical timer as well.

Advice? We have a competition in two weeks, so we're stressing out right now, so any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: The only problem that we have is that this was meant to be our chemical timer, otherwise, we could just use the baking soda and vinegar.
if you were to use baking soda and vinegar but still have the chemical timer you can put the baking soda into little pill capsules that dissolve in water. this will delay the reaction
I hope this helps
Thanks for the response!
Would this still count as a chemical timer, though? (I'm fine with this being a physical timer for my first comp, but it would be nice to know)
well the pill capsule needs to dissolve so yes it is a chemical timer
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
terence.tan wrote: if you were to use baking soda and vinegar but still have the chemical timer you can put the baking soda into little pill capsules that dissolve in water. this will delay the reaction
I hope this helps
Thanks for the response!
But dissolution does not change the chemical identity of the solute or the solvent.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

PM2017 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Thanks for the response!
But dissolution does not change the chemical identity of the solute or the solvent.
oh wait your right. you could decrease the temp of the vinegar(I guess)
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
terence.tan wrote: well the pill capsule needs to dissolve so yes it is a chemical timer
But dissolution could arguably be chemical reaction. Goes from solid to aqueous or if it's an ionic compound then the dissolution involves the splitting of the compound. And then changing temp would change the rate of dissolution.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
terence.tan

Post by terence.tan »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
PM2017 wrote: But dissolution does not change the chemical identity of the solute or the solvent.
But dissolution could arguably be chemical reaction. Goes from solid to aqueous or if it's an ionic compound then the dissolution involves the splitting of the compound. And then changing temp would change the rate of dissolution.
I guess you can make that argument

Return to “Mission Possible C”