Exothermic Task

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Exothermic Task

Post by PM2017 »

tarembrandt wrote:Are matches allowed? My idea was to have kanthal or nichrome wire wrapped around a piece of a match, so that when the circuit is activated, the wire would get red hot and ignite the match, emitting light for a few seconds, which would then activate an LDR in a separate circuit.
Yes they are. Just be careful to make sure it complies with the FAQ here: https://www.soinc.org/mission-possible-1
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Rezalis
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rezalis »

For this task, I'm just using a G4 Halogen bulb, a photoresistor, a TIP120 transistor, and an Arduino. It has been working reliably since December and has run consistently hundreds of times. I highly recommend this method, because it's easy to do and it is very unlikely to fail.
2018 Events
Mission, Mousetrap, Towers, Helicopters, Hovercraft
JordanPro

Post by JordanPro »

If the only requirements of this task involve an exothermic action and light, could one use an incandescent flashlight to shine on a photocell in order to activate the next action? Since incandescent bulbs actually produce heat as opposed to a LED.
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

JordanPro wrote:If the only requirements of this task involve an exothermic action and light, could one use an incandescent flashlight to shine on a photocell in order to activate the next action? Since incandescent bulbs actually produce heat as opposed to a LED.
Yes you can. I think thats how everyone else is doing it
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
erico.vert
State: MD

Post by erico.vert »

Rezalis wrote:For this task, I'm just using a G4 Halogen bulb, a photoresistor, a TIP120 transistor, and an Arduino. It has been working reliably since December and has run consistently hundreds of times. I highly recommend this method, because it's easy to do and it is very unlikely to fail.

Could you explain how you did this? I'm very new to arduinos but I feel like it's the best and most reliable way of doing this task
LIPX3

Post by LIPX3 »

erico.vert wrote:
Rezalis wrote:For this task, I'm just using a G4 Halogen bulb, a photoresistor, a TIP120 transistor, and an Arduino. It has been working reliably since December and has run consistently hundreds of times. I highly recommend this method, because it's easy to do and it is very unlikely to fail.

Could you explain how you did this? I'm very new to arduinos but I feel like it's the best and most reliable way of doing this task
Very simple code, you can find examples of how to use a photocell and an LED on Arduino online. A low-voltage light bulb will work in an identical way.

Return to “Mission Possible C”