Exothermic Task

davecutting
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Exothermic Task

Post by davecutting »

I think we got close to answering this, but just to clarify... if I used an incandescent bulb (5V, 60ma) and photocell for this transfer but then an LED and a photocell on the next action to count for the light triggered action, would I have issue with the judges not thinking they're unique?

David
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
dmis

Post by dmis »

People keep claiming that transfers need to be unique, but I cant seem to find that in the rules. One part cannot be used for more than one transfer, but I cant see why that means two transfers have to be unique if they fulfill the requirements for both tasks. Is there a rule I am missing?

So, based on that logic, I'd say your method would work, David.
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

davecutting wrote:I think we got close to answering this, but just to clarify... if I used an incandescent bulb (5V, 60ma) and photocell for this transfer but then an LED and a photocell on the next action to count for the light triggered action, would I have issue with the judges not thinking they're unique?

David
At sylvania NW the LED action was considered unique from the incandescent bulb action. There is a clause in the rules stating that each (scorable?) action must be unique.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Would it be okay if we used a small bulb? I want to power my bulb with my saltwater circuit, so I don’t have a lot to work with. As long as it releases a little heat, do you guys think it would be okay? It would be bigger than an LED, but not bigger than 5V.
Ash123

Photocell shroud?

Post by Ash123 »

Are we allowed to cover the photocell completely so long as it still starts the next action? I wanted to start my final action by using a lightbulb to initiate a light activated sound module to play then end, but the accompanying photocell is activated by almost any ambient light, so I coulda use black tape and tape the photocell to my lightbulb. Would that be allowed?
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Re: Photocell shroud?

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:Are we allowed to cover the photocell completely so long as it still starts the next action? I wanted to start my final action by using a lightbulb to initiate a light activated sound module to play then end, but the accompanying photocell is activated by almost any ambient light, so I coulda use black tape and tape the photocell to my lightbulb. Would that be allowed?
Mine is completely enclosed to prevent ambient light from triggering the photocell. Just have a way for the ES to see it.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Ash123 wrote:Are we allowed to cover the photocell completely so long as it still starts the next action? I wanted to start my final action by using a lightbulb to initiate a light activated sound module to play then end, but the accompanying photocell is activated by almost any ambient light, so I coulda use black tape and tape the photocell to my lightbulb. Would that be allowed?
Mine is completely enclosed to prevent ambient light from triggering the photocell. Just have a way for the ES to see it.
I've got my photocell in a voltage divider connected to an Attiny25 on my control board. Might want to see if that's possible in your case, then you can just tell it to take an initial reading and then look for a change of greater than a threshold.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

davecutting wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
I've got my photocell in a voltage divider connected to an Attiny25 on my control board. Might want to see if that's possible in your case, then you can just tell it to take an initial reading and then look for a change of greater than a threshold.
Yeah, I'm sensing mine via a voltage divider to an Arduino, but I made a small enclosure for the lightbulb and the photocell that has a removable wall just in case the ES wanted to see- as it turned out, he didn't care as long as he could see the lightbulb light up during the device operation. With an Arduino or ATtiny, you should be able to set a threshold that definitely won't be triggered by ambient light.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
tarembrandt

Post by tarembrandt »

Are matches allowed? My idea was to have kanthal or nichrome wire wrapped around a piece of a match, so that when the circuit is activated, the wire would get red hot and ignite the match, emitting light for a few seconds, which would then activate an LDR in a separate circuit.
tarembrandt

Post by tarembrandt »

Are matches allowed? My idea was to have kanthal or nichrome wire wrapped around a piece of a match, so that when the circuit is activated, the wire would get red hot and ignite the match, emitting light for a few seconds, which would then activate an LDR in a separate circuit.

Return to “Mission Possible C”