Exothermic Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Exothermic Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.iii for details.

Seems like you would want a container of some sort to control the conditions of the photocell.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Exothermic Task

Post by cuber »

hmm. Would an arduino monitored thermometer be allowed? I'm struggling to think of safe ways to use temperature to initiate the next task.

edit: oops mixed up the exothermic and endothermic tasks :D my bad
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:See rule 4.b.iii for details.

Seems like you would want a container of some sort to control the conditions of the photocell.
Couldn't you just use an incandescent bulb? It produces both light and heat (plus the rules don't require this to be a chemical reaction).
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

My concern with this task is that rule 3.d would seemingly prevent isolating the light+photocell in an opaque container, complicating detection. The best idea I had for a light source was an old zirconium flashbulb, which would (hopefully) cause the photocell to emit a burst of electricity. A capacitor could block the nominal flow of current, but a spike of power could transfer through (I think). Then it could go to some sort of logic gate (edit: an SCR?) that keeps itself open after the pulse.
Last edited by andrew lorino on September 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:My concern with this task is that rule 3.d would seemingly prevent isolating the light+photocell in an opaque container, complicating detection. The best idea I had for a light source was an old zirconium flashbulb, which would (hopefully) cause the photocell to emit a burst of electricity. A capacitor could block the nominal flow of current, but a spike of power could transfer through (I think). Then it could go to some sort of logic gate that keeps itself open after the pulse.
or the transition simply pulls something from in front of the photocell. The transfer doesnt have to cause the light to turn on; the light could already be on and just activate it by removing an opaque barrier. (The rules ever said that the light source has to come from your device anyways so you could technically just use the ambient room lighting)
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:My concern with this task is that rule 3.d would seemingly prevent isolating the light+photocell in an opaque container, complicating detection. The best idea I had for a light source was an old zirconium flashbulb, which would (hopefully) cause the photocell to emit a burst of electricity. A capacitor could block the nominal flow of current, but a spike of power could transfer through (I think). Then it could go to some sort of logic gate that keeps itself open after the pulse.
or the transition simply pulls something from in front of the photocell. The transfer doesnt have to cause the light to turn on; the light could already be on and just activate it by removing an opaque barrier. (The rules ever said that the light source has to come from your device anyways so you could technically just use the ambient room lighting)
Wouldn't that a: violate size/battery rules and b: not count as an exothermic reaction, as its electrical -> light and not chemical -> light?
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Wouldn't that a: violate size/battery rules and b: not count as an exothermic reaction, as its electrical -> light and not chemical -> light?
Why would that violate size or battery rules? It doesnt say exothermic reaction. It says exothermic ACTION.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote: Why would that violate size or battery rules? It doesnt say exothermic reaction. It says exothermic ACTION.
I would imagine that a 60W lightbulb 9ft away running on mains power would count as part of the device. You have a point on the latter, but I would play it safe, as an event supervisor might not see it that way.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Why would that violate size or battery rules? It doesnt say exothermic reaction. It says exothermic ACTION.
I would imagine that a 60W lightbulb 9ft away running on mains power would count as part of the device. You have a point on the latter, but I would play it safe, as an event supervisor might not see it that way.
I agree
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

NicholasBraun

Post by NicholasBraun »

Wouldn't an LED count as an exothermic action? Even if little amounts of heat are being produced from the LED, it still would be activating a photocell and triggering the next step. It would be nice to have a clarification about the amount of heat increase that would need to be produced from the light source.

Return to “Mission Possible C”