Water Task

daydreamer0023
Division: Grad

Re: Water Task

Post by daydreamer0023 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
chalker wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Thanks for (unofficially) explaining! One more question if it's not too much to ask... Does the water have to be pure (i.e. distilled) or can it have dissolved ions in it (i.e. tapwater or saltwater)?
I'd suggest looking at this in 2 ways:
1. Would the average lay person (which is what the majority of SO event supervisors are) look at a given sample of tapwater or saltwater and when asked whether it was 'water' answer 'yes'?
2. Is there any reasonable way the average event supervisor would be able to determine at the event whether a given sample of 'water' was pure / distilled / tap / salt?

As always, this is not the place for official statements or clarifications.
Visibly the event supervisors would not be able to tell. However, they could test by simply using a voltmeter.
I think that the point chalker is trying to make is that whether its freshwater or salt water, it's still water. If salt water weren't considered water, what would we say the ocean was filled of? ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
andrew lorino
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by andrew lorino »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
chalker wrote:
I'd suggest looking at this in 2 ways:
1. Would the average lay person (which is what the majority of SO event supervisors are) look at a given sample of tapwater or saltwater and when asked whether it was 'water' answer 'yes'?
2. Is there any reasonable way the average event supervisor would be able to determine at the event whether a given sample of 'water' was pure / distilled / tap / salt?

As always, this is not the place for official statements or clarifications.
Visibly the event supervisors would not be able to tell. However, they could test by simply using a voltmeter.
I think that the point chalker is trying to make is that whether its freshwater or salt water, it's still water. If salt water weren't considered water, what would we say the ocean was filled of? ;)
For future reference, the FAQ here clarifies this, water must be pure on entry.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

andrew lorino wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Visibly the event supervisors would not be able to tell. However, they could test by simply using a voltmeter.
For future reference, the FAQ here clarifies this, water must be pure on entry.
I believe bottled, tap, or distilled water should all be acceptable based upon feedback I received from the national event supervisor at the coaches clinic. They do not want any additives, including salt. Baseline dissolved solids in tap water will not be problematic since you can't even detect them without special meters or chemical kits.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

So could we add water to a container that weighs it and presses a limit switch?
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

davecutting wrote:So could we add water to a container that weighs it and presses a limit switch?
Per advice I received at the Centerville Coaches Clinic from the National ES, yes, this would satisfy the task description.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
aniSUKSatCHEM

Post by aniSUKSatCHEM »

What does it mean by "closed container" in the rules? Can there be a small hole in the top of the container so that I can use a pipette to transfer water into the container?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

aniSUKSatCHEM wrote:What does it mean by "closed container" in the rules? Can there be a small hole in the top of the container so that I can use a pipette to transfer water into the container?
Per the FAQ posted to soinc.org on 10/23/17: "The container must be closed but does not have to be air tight. When water is added to the container, any liquids and/or solids must stay within the closed container and no one can be physically exposed to them."

Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

So the FAQS said you cant use salt water for the water task, would pouring the water into a container that has dry salt be against these rules? What do you all think?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Kyanite wrote:So the FAQS said you cant use salt water for the water task, would pouring the water into a container that has dry salt be against these rules? What do you all think?
That seems to be legal to me. So long as the water being poured is not saltwater, it should be fine. However, you're probably better off doing something more reliable, like this:
davecutting wrote:So could we add water to a container that weighs it and presses a limit switch?
Userpage

ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:
Kyanite wrote:So the FAQS said you cant use salt water for the water task, would pouring the water into a container that has dry salt be against these rules? What do you all think?
That seems to be legal to me. So long as the water being poured is not saltwater, it should be fine. However, you're probably better off doing something more reliable, like this:
It is legal to pour the water into a container that has salt in it (according to the coaches clinic).
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):