Ash123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Allowed to use battery?

Post by Ash123 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
radioactivated wrote:
Ash123 wrote:Hey guys
For the water task, are we allowed to include a 9v battery in our design? Other than losing the bonus, is it necessary? I’m doing a saltwater cell, but I am confused as to whether or not we are only allowed to use flow batteries.
On a similar note, would adding water to form a voltaic pile count as an added battery and therefore remove the battery bonus?
As long as it is not supplying power then I wouldn't be concerned. Now if you added water in order to form a cell and power a circuit and not simply complete a circuit then that would be an added battery IMO.
But would having the water simply complete the circuit be entire ugh to satisfy the task?
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Allowed to use battery?

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
radioactivated wrote:
On a similar note, would adding water to form a voltaic pile count as an added battery and therefore remove the battery bonus?
As long as it is not supplying power then I wouldn't be concerned. Now if you added water in order to form a cell and power a circuit and not simply complete a circuit then that would be an added battery IMO.
But would having the water simply complete the circuit be entire ugh to satisfy the task?
Why wouldn't it?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
akshay0824

Re: Water Task

Post by akshay0824 »

So is adding water to a cup in order to complete the circuit allowed? Or would the cup be an "open" container?
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

akshay0824 wrote:So is adding water to a cup in order to complete the circuit allowed? Or would the cup be an "open" container?
That’s what I’m doing. According a rule clarification, a closed container is something that does not allow the liquid to spill (I’m paraphrasing, highly recommended checking out the exact wording). The action simply states that water has to complete the circuit- by that logic, using the water as a switch, as you and I are doing, is totally allowed.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:
akshay0824 wrote:So is adding water to a cup in order to complete the circuit allowed? Or would the cup be an "open" container?
That’s what I’m doing. According a rule clarification, a closed container is something that does not allow the liquid to spill (I’m paraphrasing, highly recommended checking out the exact wording). The action simply states that water has to complete the circuit- by that logic, using the water as a switch, as you and I are doing, is totally allowed.
I would try to find someway to close the cup just to be safe
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
unknownuser2
Division: C

Post by unknownuser2 »

For people who have already been in the competition were limit switches or a switch based on the weight of the water allowed? What was the final consensus made here?
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

unknownuser2 wrote:For people who have already been in the competition were limit switches or a switch based on the weight of the water allowed? What was the final consensus made here?
I believe the easiest way is adding water to a small container with salt already in it. Of cause you will have 2 wires separated by a few mm or cm. Without salt, it will need transistor to amplify the current to trigger next action.
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

hey guys, I’m still confused on whether using the cup filled with water to press a micro switch or something counts as completing the circuit. If the event supervisors don’t think so at states, I won’t argue of course, but I would like to go in with an idea of whether this would be valid.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

jinhusong wrote:
unknownuser2 wrote:For people who have already been in the competition were limit switches or a switch based on the weight of the water allowed? What was the final consensus made here?
I believe the easiest way is adding water to a small container with salt already in it. Of cause you will have 2 wires separated by a few mm or cm. Without salt, it will need transistor to amplify the current to trigger next action.
Not only is it easier, it's also less risky.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

How are you all amplifying the current needed for the circuit to do anything functional? When I add water to my concentration of salt, it transmits nowhere near enough to power any of my other tasks. I looked into transistors and op-amps but using them looks so complicated :?

Return to “Mission Possible C”