Water Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Water Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.iv for details.

At first glance, the use of the word "water" here seems like it could be problematic. Must the water be pure water, or can it contain solutes pre-dissolved?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Task

Post by cuber »

Funny thing happened at my summer job at a resort this year- they had just installed a new water treatment system when people started complaining the coffee machines weren't working. Turns out the treatment was a little too effective. The machines couldn't electrically detect the water level because of the lack of dissolved solutes. they had to change them out to bob-based systems.

To get back on topic - I think it would be wise to have the solute initially undissolved to avoid conflicts. something like baking soda shouldn't take too long to dissolve.
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

I'm a bit concerned about the "closed container" part of this action. Does this mean the device must somehow pour the water into a container and then close said container?
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

scioly2012 wrote:I'm a bit concerned about the "closed container" part of this action. Does this mean the device must somehow pour the water into a container and then close said container?
I would also like a clarification of what defines a closed container.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

daydreamer0023 wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:I'm a bit concerned about the "closed container" part of this action. Does this mean the device must somehow pour the water into a container and then close said container?
I believe that the container must start off closed. A solution to this problem may be to have a magnet on the inside and a magnet on the outside, so when you pull of the magnet the water would fall into the baking soda. Something like that
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

terence.tan wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
I believe that the container must start off closed. A solution to this problem may be to have a magnet on the inside and a magnet on the outside, so when you pull of the magnet the water would fall into the baking soda. Something like that
Any input chalker?
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
chalker

Post by chalker »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:
Any input chalker?
As usual, this isn't the place for official comments / clarifications. I think the wording is mainly to help reduce the potential for spills and messes. Obviously it's physically impossible to add water to a completely enclosed container. You need to either open it or have a port of some sort for the water to flow through.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

chalker wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Any input chalker?
As usual, this isn't the place for official comments / clarifications. I think the wording is mainly to help reduce the potential for spills and messes. Obviously it's physically impossible to add water to a completely enclosed container. You need to either open it or have a port of some sort for the water to flow through.
Thanks for (unofficially) explaining! One more question if it's not too much to ask... Does the water have to be pure (i.e. distilled) or can it have dissolved ions in it (i.e. tapwater or saltwater)?
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
chalker

Post by chalker »

ScottMaurer19 wrote: Thanks for (unofficially) explaining! One more question if it's not too much to ask... Does the water have to be pure (i.e. distilled) or can it have dissolved ions in it (i.e. tapwater or saltwater)?
I'd suggest looking at this in 2 ways:
1. Would the average lay person (which is what the majority of SO event supervisors are) look at a given sample of tapwater or saltwater and when asked whether it was 'water' answer 'yes'?
2. Is there any reasonable way the average event supervisor would be able to determine at the event whether a given sample of 'water' was pure / distilled / tap / salt?

As always, this is not the place for official statements or clarifications.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

chalker wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Thanks for (unofficially) explaining! One more question if it's not too much to ask... Does the water have to be pure (i.e. distilled) or can it have dissolved ions in it (i.e. tapwater or saltwater)?
I'd suggest looking at this in 2 ways:
1. Would the average lay person (which is what the majority of SO event supervisors are) look at a given sample of tapwater or saltwater and when asked whether it was 'water' answer 'yes'?
2. Is there any reasonable way the average event supervisor would be able to determine at the event whether a given sample of 'water' was pure / distilled / tap / salt?

As always, this is not the place for official statements or clarifications.
Visibly the event supervisors would not be able to tell. However, they could test by simply using a voltmeter.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):