Infrared Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Infrared Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.v for details.

As with the Balloon Task, this is a limit on the minimum size of the device. I imagine if anyone is building a device that small, if it's even possible, it would be favorable to align the infrared beam vertically.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Infrared Task

Post by cuber »

i'm a little afraid of interference from outside infrared light or maybe competitors machines. perhaps an infrared laser is the way to go? That might cost the one battery bonus however.
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

I'd say all light tasks I'd seal in a box and have labeled, with the ability to take the box off after and show the supervisor. That way there's no risk of interference.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Since it states in the rules to use an infrared beam, does it matter how exactly you use it?

Ex. Would blocking the beam/triggering the next action because the beam is blocked be legal? If not, would the beam turning on/triggering the next action because it is turned on be legal?

Apologies, this is my first year on Mission so I'm trying to get myself together. :/
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

daydreamer0023 wrote:Since it states in the rules to use an infrared beam, does it matter how exactly you use it?

Ex. Would blocking the beam/triggering the next action because the beam is blocked be legal? If not, would the beam turning on/triggering the next action because it is turned on be legal?

Apologies, this is my first year on Mission so I'm trying to get myself together. :/
Those both sound fine to me (evidence: General rule 1). As long as there's a receiver of some sort as a detector I would think you would be ok. However, I would recommend against, for example, using the IR beam to cause a chemical reaction (or something similar) and claiming that the chemical solution is the "receiver" - I'm not certain that it wouldn't be allowed, but there are plenty of options so why choose something risky?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

Tesel wrote:I'd say all light tasks I'd seal in a box and have labeled, with the ability to take the box off after and show the supervisor. That way there's no risk of interference.
Couldn't that violate 3.d?
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

andrew lorino wrote:
Tesel wrote:I'd say all light tasks I'd seal in a box and have labeled, with the ability to take the box off after and show the supervisor. That way there's no risk of interference.
Couldn't that violate 3.d?
Yeah that definitely would, my bad. Either way it shouldn't be an issue with infrared. Also, I like the idea of unblocking the receiver instead of turning on the beam, that's one way for sure to make it work.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

If the IR source was pulsed, ala a TV remote, do you guys think it would still count as a beam?
dbli2000

Post by dbli2000 »

I have the same question. I set up an IR reciever with an arduino that will trigger the next task when it decodes a 38 kHz IR signal. However, the signal comes from a tv remote with a button pushed down with the IR diode not directly aligned with the reciever. So I suppose I have two questions: 1) Is it okay to use a 38 kHz IR signal? (I.e. does it count as a beam) and 2) is it okay if the reciever and emmitter aren't directly aligned?
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

Pulling from Merriam Webster for "beam"
a : a ray or shaft of light
b : a collection of nearly parallel rays (such as X-rays) or a stream of particles (such as electrons)
c : a constant directional radio signal transmitted for the guidance of pilots
The definitions a) and b) focus a lot more on the directionality rather than whether it is constant or not. c) is very specific to a particular application for the guidance of pilots.

If in an alternate scenario you had a IR signal that only lasted for 0.00002 seconds, I would still consider that a beam as long as it was sufficiently directional. In my own intuition and my interpretation of the definitions, it isn't the duration (or therefore frequency) that defines a beam.
Whether you pose your transfer as a single beam (effectively) or a series of beams, I personally don't see an issue with any frequency of signal transmission, provided that the wavelength is in the IR range and there is sufficient directionality to call it a beam.

For the directionality, I think you should be incorporating this very strongly regardless of the exact wording of the task. You'll be in a room with maybe 10 other active IR sources in a timeslot. Many IR receivers have receiving angles of 90 or 120 degrees, which means without precautions you could easily receive stray transmissions. I'd strongly suggest enclosing your system to prevent false triggers and to confine the signal to a "nearly parallel" path.

In terms of "alignment" I definitely don't actually need the transmitter and receiver to be in a literal straight line. You could certainly even bounce/reflect the beam and have them at different angles. Just be comfortable explaining why there is directionality involved.

Return to “Mission Possible C”