Photoactive Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Photoactive Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.vi for details.

This one is a little vague - any type of light-triggered reaction sounds like it would work. Thoughts?

Edit 3/24/18 - a little late, but this probably needs a name change in lieu of the rules clarification that removes the "chemical" part.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Photochemical Task

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:See rule 4.b.vi for details.

This one is a little vague - any type of light-triggered reaction sounds like it would work. Thoughts?
My question is whether the reaction must by directly started by the light (ie light sensitive chemicals) or if the light causes the chemicals to mix and then reacting.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
cuber
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by cuber »

Light based polymerization, used in sla 3d printing initially come to mind to me. However UV curable resins are expensive and messy, and don't really fit the 60 sec time scale.
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

Maybe you could have a sheet of positive photoresist sealing a hole in a container full of its developer; UV light activates the photoresist, and the developer breaks through the sheet and does a thing?
Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

This one is starting to bug me, initially I was thinking I could use a laser to burn something (combustion), but I've realized that such a laser would clearly need to be in a class that would break SciOly laser policy so I'm back to square one.

Now that I think about it though, I guess that might not technically not have worked out anyways as it would be the thermal energy triggering the reaction, rather than light.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

Snarknado wrote:This one is starting to bug me, initially I was thinking I could use a laser to burn something (combustion), but I've realized that such a laser would clearly need to be in a class that would break SciOly laser policy so I'm back to square one.

Now that I think about it though, I guess that might not technically not have worked out anyways as it would be the thermal energy triggering the reaction, rather than light.
You're absolutely right re. lasers. In fact, I think the laser policy says that all lasers and powerful LEDs must be hand operated unless otherwise said, and it wasn't. But a laser would count as light initiating the reaction, as the energy is being transmitted via the light radiation of the laser, not conduction or convection. I'm pointing that out so that initiating a combustion reaction by other light means (somehow) isn't dismissed out of hand.
Last edited by andrew lorino on September 26th, 2017, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Snarknado wrote:This one is starting to bug me, initially I was thinking I could use a laser to burn something (combustion), but I've realized that such a laser would clearly need to be in a class that would break SciOly laser policy so I'm back to square one.

There are many creative, yet simple, ways to do this. (I would share mine but I'd prefer to have at least one unique transfer ;) )
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote: There are many creative, yet simple, ways to do this. (I would share mine but I'd prefer to have at least one unique transfer ;) )
<sarcasm> Now that I think about it, the rules don't specifically ban thermonuclear weapons... </sarcasm>

This is a joke, CIA/FBI/Moderators
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: There are many creative, yet simple, ways to do this. (I would share mine but I'd prefer to have at least one unique transfer ;) )
<sarcasm> Now that I think about it, the rules don't specifically ban thermonuclear weapons... </sarcasm>

You have any plutonium I might be able to borrow?
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

You have any plutonium I might be able to borrow?
I would ask someone from Team Totally Not From North Korea for that.

Return to “Mission Possible C”