scioly2012
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Photochemical Task

Post by scioly2012 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Hence why there are issuing a rule clarification to both clarify the transfer and make it easier.
Easier, how? Also, any idea when that rule clarification is coming out?
Not sure when the clarification will be posted but I was told that it was already made and approved. Just not posted.

It is supposed to make the rules state photo(chemical?) action as opposed to a reaction. This would allow for things like fluorescent objects to be used in conjunction with UV light to create a color change.
Interesting. Thanks!
idontknowanything

Post by idontknowanything »

so the rules got changed to "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate the next action." instead of "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate a chemical reaction to begin the next action." Does this mean we can use another photocell or am I misinterpreting the rule change?
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

idontknowanything wrote:so the rules got changed to "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate the next action." instead of "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate a chemical reaction to begin the next action." Does this mean we can use another photocell or am I misinterpreting the rule change?
So the rules say it must be a "unique" action. I wouldn't use a halogen bulb (already used) but if you use an LED it would count IMO.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
qwerty12345

Post by qwerty12345 »

Last edited by qwerty12345 on December 5th, 2017, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

idontknowanything wrote:so the rules got changed to "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate the next action." instead of "4.b.vi. Use light to initiate a chemical reaction to begin the next action." Does this mean we can use another photocell or am I misinterpreting the rule change?
That's my interpretation. It seems like they pretty much cut out all of the difficulty of this action. Kinda sucks because I probably could've placed higher at my last invitational if I'd noticed this change earlier.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Snarknado wrote:
That's my interpretation. It seems like they pretty much cut out all of the difficulty of this action. Kinda sucks because I probably could've placed higher at my last invitational if I'd noticed this change earlier.
This was a last minute addition for me too. I even had an entire plan for a photochemical reaction :cry: :cry: :cry:
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Snarknado wrote:
This was a last minute addition for me too. I even had an entire plan for a photochemical reaction :cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't know if you want to keep your plan secret in case they bring it back somehow, but out of curiosity, what had you planned to do? I was thoroughly vexed figuring out something that worked fast enough. It's already been discussed here a bit, but we were looking mainly at Hydrogen Peroxide, although I was also investigating using film.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Snarknado wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Snarknado wrote: That's my interpretation. It seems like they pretty much cut out all of the difficulty of this action. Kinda sucks because I probably could've placed higher at my last invitational if I'd noticed this change earlier.
I don't know if you want to keep your plan secret in case they bring it back somehow, but out of curiosity, what had you planned to do? I was thoroughly vexed figuring out something that worked fast enough. It's already been discussed here a bit, but we were looking mainly at Hydrogen Peroxide, although I was also investigating using film.
I don't expect it to come back because they already published the rule clarification. I planned to shine UV light on powder that changes color in sunlight. The electron orbitals are changed by the UV thus producing a chemical reaction via light.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Does the uniqueness rule mean that you can't end this action with a photocell if you also do the exothermic-light-photocell action (action iii)?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

PM2017 wrote:Does the uniqueness rule mean that you can't end this action with a photocell if you also do the exothermic-light-photocell action (action iii)?
Up to interpretation... By that logic closing switches would only be allowed in one transfer. I would say significantly changing something (i.e. changing from an incandescent bulb to an LED) would be considered unique.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):