High IMA Pulley Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

High IMA Pulley Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.vii for details.

The IMA must be at least 7, so that will require a significant number of pulleys. Pushing a switch with the rising weight seems like the simplest way to trigger the next action, as long as you can control the ascent path of the weight (a tube?).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: High IMA Pulley Task

Post by Tesel »

It'll require some pulleys, yes, but as long as you just do 4 wheels on top fixed in place and 3 wheels on bottom fixed together, it's a pretty manageable system. That is if I remember my simple machines right which is a big if.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
RJohnson
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by RJohnson »

Tesel wrote:It'll require some pulleys, yes, but as long as you just do 4 wheels on top fixed in place and 3 wheels on bottom fixed together, it's a pretty manageable system. That is if I remember my simple machines right which is a big if.
That's not quite how I remember it. I believe it is the number of movable pulleys * 2. IE, you would have four on top and bottom, the four on the bottom moving to get an IMA of 8. To get to exactly 7, I guess one would remove the last pulley on the top and be pulling up rather than down.
Unome

Post by Unome »

This is what you want, with the pulleys separated out. Just use this number of pulleys, and arrange them similar to this diagram.
IMA 7 pulley.png
IMA 7 pulley.png (6.6 KiB) Viewed 9319 times
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1AjO ... sp=sharing

Here is a link to a google drawing I made of what (90% sure) a 7 IMA pulley system can look like.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Unome

Post by Unome »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1AjO ... sp=sharing

Here is a link to a google drawing I made of what (90% sure) a 7 IMA pulley system can look like.
I can probably chip in the other 10%, that looks right to me.
Userpage

RJohnson

Post by RJohnson »

Gotcha, not quite what I had envisioned but functionally equivalent.
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

RJohnson wrote:
Tesel wrote:It'll require some pulleys, yes, but as long as you just do 4 wheels on top fixed in place and 3 wheels on bottom fixed together, it's a pretty manageable system. That is if I remember my simple machines right which is a big if.
That's not quite how I remember it. I believe it is the number of movable pulleys * 2. IE, you would have four on top and bottom, the four on the bottom moving to get an IMA of 8. To get to exactly 7, I guess one would remove the last pulley on the top and be pulling up rather than down.
I should have explained that better... it's all about the number of ropes supporting the load. Unome did a great drawing - since there's 7 ropes supporting the load, there's an IMA of 7, which is what I was getting at.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by raxu »

There is a pulley system I remember from Compound Machines that use few pulleys to get an arbitrarily high IMA: Differential Pulley. I did a description in the scioly wiki Compound Machine page.

There are a few drawbacks though: it is harder to build, requiring the wheel and axle-like structure. Additionally, the supervisor may not familiar with the setup and does not see how it can have IMA>=7. The benefit is the low number of pulleys used!
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
Unome

Post by Unome »

raxu wrote:There is a pulley system I remember from Compound Machines that use few pulleys to get an arbitrarily high IMA: Differential Pulley. I did a description in the scioly wiki Compound Machine page.

There are a few drawbacks though: it is harder to build, requiring the wheel and axle-like structure. Additionally, the supervisor may not familiar with the setup and does not see how it can have IMA>=7. The benefit is the low number of pulleys used!
It's an interesting idea. However, it would also be a little harder to implement due to the difficulty of pulling on it, whereas with a regular pulley you just drop an object 70 cm to pull the weight up 10 cm.

Edit: Nevermind, that's not possible. The dropped object would definitely have to roll down a ramp or something, since the device's maximum height is 60 cm.
Userpage

Return to “Mission Possible C”