Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Low IMA Pulley Task

Post by Unome »

Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
Hey! Sorry, but I’m still struggling to understand the 0.5 IMA pulley. How does the effort pull down if the Circle represents the disk of the pulley? Also how would you connect that to the 7:1 pulley?
The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.
But how does the effort cause the pulley to move if it is connected to the disk of one of the pulleys? If I understand the diagnosis correctly, a string weaves through two disk and holds a load on one end while being fixed on the other. So how could the effort pull anything if it is connected to the disk?
The effort is connected to the axis of the pulley via a string. If you look at a video or build it, you might understand it a little better.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ash123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ash123 »

Is there any way to connect the high and low ima pulleys? I’ve been trying to think of a method but I’ve got nothing right now.
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:Is there any way to connect the high and low ima pulleys? I’ve been trying to think of a method but I’ve got nothing right now.
Yes but I'm also unwilling to share this one
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ash123
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ash123 »

Unome wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
Unome wrote: The effort pulls down if you make it more than twice as heavy as the load. Otherwise, it doesn't pull anything - hence the 0.5 IMA.
But how does the effort cause the pulley to move if it is connected to the disk of one of the pulleys? If I understand the diagnosis correctly, a string weaves through two disk and holds a load on one end while being fixed on the other. So how could the effort pull anything if it is connected to the disk?
The effort is connected to the axis of the pulley via a string. If you look at a video or build it, you might understand it a little better.
Ohhhh ok so I watched a few videos and i think I get it now.
So for a 2:1 pulley, the effort is on the fixed pulley and load is on the movable pulley, but for the 1:2 pulley it’s vice versa, correct?

Return to “Mission Possible C”