Lever Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Lever Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.ix for details.

Connecting the levers, a la Compound Machines a few years ago, could work. The rule doesn't specify a minimum size for the levers - I suspect these could be rather small (under 10 cm each) and still function fine.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
daydreamer0023

Re: Lever Task

Post by daydreamer0023 »

When they say to use each lever in sequence, should there be a very small gap in between the levers as something in between (such as a marble) triggers each lever, or could the levers directly trigger each other (if possible)?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

daydreamer0023 wrote:When they say to use each lever in sequence, should there be a very small gap in between the levers as something in between (such as a marble) triggers each lever, or could the levers directly trigger each other (if possible)?
It is possible to directly trigger each lever. I am unsure whether or not "in sequence" means directly putting force into the next or not. To be safe you can rig them directly or ask an FAQ (which are starting to make me nervous because no FAQs have come out yet and I need a device for Dec 9)
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Unome

Post by Unome »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:(which are starting to make me nervous because no FAQs have come out yet and I need a device for Dec 9)
Y'all have it great, we need our first Mission next weekend.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
andrew lorino
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:When they say to use each lever in sequence, should there be a very small gap in between the levers as something in between (such as a marble) triggers each lever, or could the levers directly trigger each other (if possible)?
It is possible to directly trigger each lever. I am unsure whether or not "in sequence" means directly putting force into the next or not. To be safe you can rig them directly or ask an FAQ (which are starting to make me nervous because no FAQs have come out yet and I need a device for Dec 9)
The sequence 3-1-2 should work
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
I think any sequence is workable.

Unome I'm not sure how it's even possible to have a device even mostly ready yet.
I would be impressed if you had starting action, final action, and one or two transfers ready.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Unome

Post by Unome »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: It is possible to directly trigger each lever. I am unsure whether or not "in sequence" means directly putting force into the next or not. To be safe you can rig them directly or ask an FAQ (which are starting to make me nervous because no FAQs have come out yet and I need a device for Dec 9)
I think any sequence is workable.

Unome I'm not sure how it's even possible to have a device even mostly ready yet.
I would be impressed if you had starting action, final action, and one or two transfers ready.
I'm not doing the event, but I'll post the top score from UGA (the aforementioned tournament) once we get raw scores.
Userpage

Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

ScottMaurer19 wrote: I would be impressed if you had starting action, final action, and one or two transfers ready.
8-)
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
DrDaveV

Post by DrDaveV »

Gears?
andrew lorino
State: NY

Post by andrew lorino »

DrDaveV wrote:Gears?
I assume that you meant if gears would count as a bunch of levers around a common axis. The answer is sort of. While a gear transferring force between 2 other gears can be seen as a bunch of first class levers, a gear transferring force to its axle would transfer it about its rotational axis, meaning that the load and the fulcrum are at the same spot, making their classification not possible. And besides, good luck convincing an ES that your gears are levers in the spirit of the competition.

Return to “Mission Possible C”