Lever Task

Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lever Task

Post by Ashernoel »

My teammate is asking if we can use marbles in between the levers.

“A lever hits a marble which goes and hits a lever”

Is that ok?
NT '19
Harvard '23
Kyanite
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

Ashernoel wrote:My teammate is asking if we can use marbles in between the levers.

“A lever hits a marble which goes and hits a lever”

Is that ok?
I would figure so, the levers are the ones transferring the energy.
Ash123

Lever Question

Post by Ash123 »

Hey guys.
I was wondering, for the lever system, do our levers need to travel a certain direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) to count as their class of levers? Or is it just the direction of the effort and load? For example, If I wanted to mount a second class lever in such a way where the effort forced down the long end and not up, would that be acceptable?
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Lever Question

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Ash123 wrote:Hey guys.
I was wondering, for the lever system, do our levers need to travel a certain direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) to count as their class of levers? Or is it just the direction of the effort and load? For example, If I wanted to mount a second class lever in such a way where the effort forced down the long end and not up, would that be acceptable?
As long as the levers are acting in the way specified by their class, with the effort and load moving in the same directions as shown, it should be fine, at least in my experience. At my first invitational, our levers only moved a few centimeters each and they were legal. Maybe you could provide a diagram of your proposed lever?
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

What are people's feelings on a lever that has the effort and load at the same point on the lever? I don't think this classifies as a lever but the discussion came up
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:What are people's feelings on a lever that has the effort and load at the same point on the lever? I don't think this classifies as a lever but the discussion came up
I don’t think that would count. A second class lever requires the load to be in between the effort and fulcrum, while a third class lever requires the effort to be in between the fulcrum and load.
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

Ash123 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:What are people's feelings on a lever that has the effort and load at the same point on the lever? I don't think this classifies as a lever but the discussion came up
I don’t think that would count. A second class lever requires the load to be in between the effort and fulcrum, while a third class lever requires the effort to be in between the fulcrum and load.
I concur. It will have no mechanical advantage whatsoever so if it even counts as a class of lever it won't satisfy the need to use mechanical advantage.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

davecutting wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
I concur. It will have no mechanical advantage whatsoever so if it even counts as a class of lever it won't satisfy the need to use mechanical
advantage.
That’s actually something that confuses me about the rules- how do you know of the lever has some mechanical advantage? And do all of the mechanical advantages have to be the same?
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

Ash123 wrote:
davecutting wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
I concur. It will have no mechanical advantage whatsoever so if it even counts as a class of lever it won't satisfy the need to use mechanical
advantage.
That’s actually something that confuses me about the rules- how do you know of the lever has some mechanical advantage? And do all of the mechanical advantages have to be the same?
If the load and the effort are not in the same position, you will have mechanical advantage. That is, a mechanical advantage other than one.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

davecutting wrote:
Ash123 wrote:
davecutting wrote:
advantage.
If the load and the effort are not in the same position, you will have mechanical advantage. That is, a mechanical advantage other than one.
That was the opinion of the ES at Westlake and I agree.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):