Coin Flip Task

ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Coin Flip Task

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Tesel wrote:I know on the first page multiple people were talking about pushing a quarter off a ledge to complete this task. However, I noticed that this execution of the task is actually not permitted in the SoCal rules clarifications. I'm wondering if you think other states are still going to allow this task? Or have you moved to a different solution?
Patrick Chalker liked the idea at Centerville and there is nothing in the rules to say it wouldn't work. The quarter flips while in the air so I can see no reason why not.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Tesel wrote:I know on the first page multiple people were talking about pushing a quarter off a ledge to complete this task. However, I noticed that this execution of the task is actually not permitted in the SoCal rules clarifications. I'm wondering if you think other states are still going to allow this task? Or have you moved to a different solution?
Patrick Chalker liked the idea at Centerville and there is nothing in the rules to say it wouldn't work. The quarter flips while in the air so I can see no reason why not.
That's good to hear, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too generous with my interpretation of the rules.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Tesel wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
That's good to hear, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too generous with my interpretation of the rules.
I'd ask Michigan SO for a clarification if they have such a system.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

PM2017 wrote:
Tesel wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: Patrick Chalker liked the idea at Centerville and there is nothing in the rules to say it wouldn't work. The quarter flips while in the air so I can see no reason why not.
It looks like they don't, unfortunately. A somewhat related question - if we use a task that the ES rules to be invalid, does that mean we lose points for the accuracy of our ASL, or just for the task itself?
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Tesel wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Tesel wrote:
It looks like they don't, unfortunately. A somewhat related question - if we use a task that the ES rules to be invalid, does that mean we lose points for the accuracy of our ASL, or just for the task itself?
I would think that so long as your ASL accurately reflects what occurs in your device, that you should receive full credit for the ASL. Ruling your action invalid and then penalizing you for an inaccurate ASL seems like "double dipping" on penalties, which would appear to go against general rule 5.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Mission Possible C”