Coin Flip Task

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Coin Flip Task

Post by PM2017 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:What if I use a lever to force it downwards? Basically I'm using a third class lever where the coin is the load and having the lever rotate from horizontal to 135 degrees. So the coin is technically flipping sides while still in contact with the lever, but after the lever stops the coin is airborne before it hits the surface, which means it went from heads -> tails in the action while being airborne at some point...?
This is unofficial but Patrick Chalker (national ES) said that the above action is allowed at the coaches clinic. This was one of his recommendations if my coaches are to be trusted. Apparently the flip does not have to occur while the quarter is airborne.
Should I submit an FAQ for this just in case?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

PM2017 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
SluffAndRuff wrote:What if I use a lever to force it downwards? Basically I'm using a third class lever where the coin is the load and having the lever rotate from horizontal to 135 degrees. So the coin is technically flipping sides while still in contact with the lever, but after the lever stops the coin is airborne before it hits the surface, which means it went from heads -> tails in the action while being airborne at some point...?
This is unofficial but Patrick Chalker (national ES) said that the above action is allowed at the coaches clinic. This was one of his recommendations if my coaches are to be trusted. Apparently the flip does not have to occur while the quarter is airborne.
Should I submit an FAQ for this just in case?
Better safe than sorry. It should be fine without but no reason not to.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
absolutezerok3
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by absolutezerok3 »

I got an idea which probably wont work but is worth a try:

WHat if you use like 10 quarters and push them off from a height. There practically a 100% chance that one of them will flip.

Im kindof a noob so would a supervisor actually score this?
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
dmis

Post by dmis »

absolutezerok3 wrote:I got an idea which probably wont work but is worth a try:

WHat if you use like 10 quarters and push them off from a height. There practically a 100% chance that one of them will flip.

Im kindof a noob so would a supervisor actually score this?
I'd imagine that would be possible, but for the action to count, one of the quarters that flip would have to trigger the next action based on my reading of the rules.
radioactivated

Post by radioactivated »

Must the coin flip while airborne, or can we flip the coin and then have it go airborne before starting the next action?
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

radioactivated wrote:Must the coin flip while airborne, or can we flip the coin and then have it go airborne before starting the next action?
Based on suggestions by Patrick Chalker at the coaches clinic you should be allowed to flip then quarter then have it go airborne (i.e. have quarter on end of lever heads up, lever flips completely over with quarter on end, quarter falls tails up)
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

So just be clear a quarter flipping machine is okay?
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Tell me if you guys think this would work for a coin flipper:

I use a switch to turn on a dc motor that has a plank of wood connected to it. The coin is resting on the wood, so when the wood turns 180 degrees, the coin will fall.

What do you guys think? Does it meet the criteria of the action? And does anyone know how I could get the motor to stop without using battery a micro controller(I don’t have access to any)
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:Tell me if you guys think this would work for a coin flipper:

I use a switch to turn on a dc motor that has a plank of wood connected to it. The coin is resting on the wood, so when the wood turns 180 degrees, the coin will fall.

What do you guys think? Does it meet the criteria of the action? And does anyone know how I could get the motor to stop without using battery a micro controller(I don’t have access to any)
As stated earlier, this would count according to the coaches clinic. You could put a limit switch to shut off the motor when the wood hits it.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

dmis

Post by dmis »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
@Chalker, it would be really great if we could get an official FAQ on this. I did exactly this and it wasn't accepted at Solon.

Return to “Mission Possible C”