Gas Expansion Task

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Gas Expansion Task

Post by Unome »

See rule 4.b.xi for details.

The specifics of the rules seem to prevent CO2 production from carbonic acid or similar, since the expansion has to be from a thermal reaction.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gas Expansion Task

Post by raxu »

Does a thermal reaction mean that we have to change temperature in ? If we can change pressure, I was thinking about activating it with a pulley task where a piston is lifted.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

raxu wrote:Does a thermal reaction mean that we have to change temperature in ? If we can change pressure, I was thinking about activating it with a pulley task where a piston is lifted.
I thought that it meant that the heat had to expand the piston, not vice versa.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
raxu wrote:Does a thermal reaction mean that we have to change temperature in ? If we can change pressure, I was thinking about activating it with a pulley task where a piston is lifted.
I thought that it meant that the heat had to expand the piston, not vice versa.
I thought the same as Andrew. The gas must gain thermal energy, and, as a result, expand.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

I wonder if lighting a match in a sealed container would count.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:I wonder if lighting a match in a sealed container would count.
Maybe, the amount of gas wouldn't change (in theory), so the expansion would just be thermal, but proving that to an ES would be difficult.
chalker

Post by chalker »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:I wonder if lighting a match in a sealed container would count.
Maybe, the amount of gas wouldn't change (in theory), so the expansion would just be thermal, but proving that to an ES would be difficult.

Your theory is incorrect. Check out this video for an example of a classic science experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwNFnOx5iEg

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

chalker wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

Your theory is incorrect. Check out this video for an example of a classic science experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwNFnOx5iEg
The result is not because of a change in the amount of gas. This can be shown with the equation: 1mol O2 + 1mol C --> 1mol CO2 (Of course this doesn't factor in the other stuff in a match). Because the match is lit before the glass is placed atop it, the pressure remains equalized with the atmosphere whilst the temperature remains higher than datum. Once the match flame dies, the temperature decreases, and, according to Charles' law, the volume decreases. If the flame were lit in a sealed environment, the pressure should increase.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

chalker wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

Well if the volume decreases than I might have a hard time getting the gas to expand anyway (other than the initial burn).
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

chalker

Post by chalker »

andrew lorino wrote:
chalker wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:

The result is not because of a change in the amount of gas. This can be shown with the equation: 1mol O2 + 1mol C --> 1mol CO2 (Of course this doesn't factor in the other stuff in a match). Because the match is lit before the glass is placed atop it, the pressure remains equalized with the atmosphere whilst the temperature remains higher than datum. Once the match flame dies, the temperature decreases, and, according to Charles' law, the volume decreases. If the flame were lit in a sealed environment, the pressure should increase.
You're right. Thanks for correcting me on what was an incorrect assumption.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Mission Possible C”