Gas Expansion Task

Ashernoel
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gas Expansion Task

Post by Ashernoel »

I was thinking of somehow making air hot and then having a balloon inside expand and hit something, but I do not think this would be the most efficient use of space and time. Anyone else think this is a tricky task?
NT '19
Harvard '23
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

I'm using a glass bulb in some exothermic reaction, connected to a syringe with a small diameter, so that the plunger pushes out. The syringe will have conductive tape on it so that it completes a circuit. I don't know how well it will work yet, but I think that it should work.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Ash123
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ash123 »

Hey guys
Does anyone have any way to do this task other than inflating a balloon? Because that is all I can think of and I would like to do this one because it seems doable.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ash123 wrote:Hey guys
Does anyone have any way to do this task other than inflating a balloon? Because that is all I can think of and I would like to do this one because it seems doable.
yes but unwilling to share at this time
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Same here. This is one task that I found particularly challenging. The syringes that I was using on the last version didn't work, it took too long to expand the gas. With the new version I can complete the task in just over 5 seconds.

@PM2017 - unless you've got a 1500W heater you might have some trouble with pushing even tiny syringes.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
Nletts19
Division: C
State: MO

Post by Nletts19 »

Has anyone else thought about using a pressure sensor for this task? You would only need to make a minuscule change in pressure so the whole action would go faster.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

Nletts19 wrote:Has anyone else thought about using a pressure sensor for this task? You would only need to make a minuscule change in pressure so the whole action would go faster.
I started saying this"

But it has to be the expansion that causes the next action, not the pressurization.

I'm thinking that your thought process is the fact that when you increase temperature, both P, and V increase. However, although P will increase as well, it has to be the increase in V (since the rules say that the expansion has to trigger the action"

then I read the rules (as well as the clarification), and I think you should be fine tbh

(Also, I had thought of that and dismissed it...)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
dmis

Post by dmis »

PM2017 wrote:
Nletts19 wrote:Has anyone else thought about using a pressure sensor for this task? You would only need to make a minuscule change in pressure so the whole action would go faster.
I started saying this"

But it has to be the expansion that causes the next action, not the pressurization.

I'm thinking that your thought process is the fact that when you increase temperature, both P, and V increase. However, although P will increase as well, it has to be the increase in V (since the rules say that the expansion has to trigger the action"

then I read the rules (as well as the clarification), and I think you should be fine tbh

Any pressure sensor I am aware of operates using a membrane that deforms due to a change in the gas's volume, so technically, I could see this working. On the other hand, this is a bit risky.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

dmis wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
I started saying this"

Any pressure sensor I am aware of operates using a membrane that deforms due to a change in the gas's volume, so technically, I could see this working. On the other hand, this is a bit risky.
Wait... The rules are ambiguous again...
Doesn't the wording on the clarification imply that the change in temperature is used to activate the next action? I know that they meant for the rules to mean that the expansion causes the next action, but the way its written implies otherwise. (I say this because the word "which" in the clarification is ambiguous. Maybe it's just all the SAT studying I did over summer still lingering...)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Iwilsonp

Post by Iwilsonp »

davecutting wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Same here. This is one task that I found particularly challenging. The syringes that I was using on the last version didn't work, it took too long to expand the gas. With the new version I can complete the task in just over 5 seconds.

@PM2017 - unless you've got a 1500W heater you might have some trouble with pushing even tiny syringes.
You can do this task very fast if you do it right. Our current method is running at just under 1sec (and no, no insane 1500W heaters).

Return to “Mission Possible C”