Electromagnet Task

ftf841
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electromagnet Task

Post by ftf841 »

unknownuser2 wrote:Is it feasible to power the electromagnet with the water circuit?
Would recommend a relay so you can switch the electromagnet on with the water circuit
i'll work on my events eventually

Centennial High School
Exclusive Game On Competitor
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

ftf841 wrote:
unknownuser2 wrote:Is it feasible to power the electromagnet with the water circuit?
Would recommend a relay so you can switch the electromagnet on with the water circuit
Thats a good idea although I'm not sure how you would provide the comparison voltage to trigger it or consistently get the same power.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Anyone know of a good way of turning off the electromagnet? (In my current design, the circuit for the electromagnet is completed, but never broken, and will probably draw too much current.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
mjcox2000
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

PM2017 wrote:Anyone know of a good way of turning off the electromagnet? (In my current design, the circuit for the electromagnet is completed, but never broken, and will probably draw too much current.)
One option is using a 555 timer or the like (through a relay/power transistor/etc.) to shut it off after a short amount of time. (An arduino can work if you don't want to deal with a 555 timer.) I've tried the 555 timer route, and it works, but you might have an easier time just putting the electromagnet as the second-to-last task so you can turn it off by yanking the battery out right after your final task completes.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

mjcox2000 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Anyone know of a good way of turning off the electromagnet? (In my current design, the circuit for the electromagnet is completed, but never broken, and will probably draw too much current.)
One option is using a 555 timer or the like (through a relay/power transistor/etc.) to shut it off after a short amount of time. (An arduino can work if you don't want to deal with a 555 timer.) I've tried the 555 timer route, and it works, but you might have an easier time just putting the electromagnet as the second-to-last task so you can turn it off by yanking the battery out right after your final task completes.
Yeah, I should have done some research before posting. I had my dad teach me how to use IC 555s yesterday. I am just going to use a flip-flop switch so that as soon as it triggers the next action, (which involves completing the circuit.) it will get toggled back off.

(This doesn't count as a parallel action, right. Since it is, in essence, the same as the FAQ that asks if we can simply turn off the motor.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

are we allowed to use a solenoid in our electromagnet? Or is that not technically a student made electromagnet anymore?
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Would using a solenoid no longer count the electromagnet as “student-made”?
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

Ash123 wrote:Would using a solenoid no longer count the electromagnet as “student-made”?
Considering a solenoid is an electromagnet, and I think you're asking if you can buy one and use it as your electromagnet(?) I don't think it would be considered student made :?
Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

I'm not sure what amount of salt you're using or current, but I've struggled to transfer enough across the water circuit to power anything other than LEDs, so I would think not. However, perhaps other people have been having more success with this one than I. It's been awhile since I've looked at that topic.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"

Return to “Mission Possible C”