Chemical Clocks

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Chemical Clocks

Post by PM2017 »

marty3 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:t does appear that SoCal has issued a state FAQ allowing either approach (altering the chemistry or the associated mechanical action) as valid. It would be extremely helpful to have a national FAQ on this issue (ahem Chalker), however they have been reticent in offering FAQs this year. Hopefully all of this context this helps those who are finalizing designs before the upcoming flood of State tournaments.
This may sound a little irresponsible, as I am the one involved in a SoCal team, and not you, but I can't seem to find a clarification that says this. I used the"Ctrl+f" and typed in chemical, on this page: http://www.socalstatescioly.org/?tab=st ... ifications, but none of them seem to say anything regarding this issue. It doesn't help that the questions are so poorly written either...

Where did you come across this information?
I believe he's citing the question "Are there restrictions on the independent and controlled variables used for the timer demonstration?" If you download the spreadsheet, you'll see that this is a question about rule 4.g.iv.
Ooh. That sounds quite iffy.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

PM2017 wrote:
marty3 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:

This may sound a little irresponsible, as I am the one involved in a SoCal team, and not you, but I can't seem to find a clarification that says this. I used the"Ctrl+f" and typed in chemical, on this page: http://www.socalstatescioly.org/?tab=st ... ifications, but none of them seem to say anything regarding this issue. It doesn't help that the questions are so poorly written either...

Where did you come across this information?
I believe he's citing the question "Are there restrictions on the independent and controlled variables used for the timer demonstration?" If you download the spreadsheet, you'll see that this is a question about rule 4.g.iv.
Ooh. That sounds quite iffy.
That is correct. While I agree the FAQ wording is awkward, it essentially means that you can alter any of the variables for the chemical timer, rather than just the chemical process itself (concentrations, temperature, etc.). This would support certain designs that I believe are still questionable nationally without an FAQ.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Ten086
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ten086 »

So has anyone figured out a way to make a chemical timer if we can’t use electrical sensors...?
Just trying my best...
Nletts19
State: MO

Post by Nletts19 »

Ten086 wrote:So has anyone figured out a way to make a chemical timer if we can’t use electrical sensors...?

I’m just using the balloon task as my timer.
erico.vert
State: MD

Post by erico.vert »

What reaction are you using for the balloon task then? I tried using baking soda and 5% vinegar and the reaction went too fast to be the timer
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

erico.vert wrote:What reaction are you using for the balloon task then? I tried using baking soda and 5% vinegar and the reaction went too fast to be the timer
try vinegar with lower acidity levels like 3%
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
JordanPro

Post by JordanPro »

Many people have been mentioning iodine clocks as a timer. If I could get an infrared laser to shine through the starch solution and then add hydrogen peroxide and the iodine solution to change it to a dark color, could I disrupt the IR beam completing an electrical circuit via a photoresistor to continue onto the next action? Sorry for the length of the question.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

JordanPro wrote:Many people have been mentioning iodine clocks as a timer. If I could get an infrared laser to shine through the starch solution and then add hydrogen peroxide and the iodine solution to change it to a dark color, could I disrupt the IR beam completing an electrical circuit via a photoresistor to continue onto the next action? Sorry for the length of the question.
Since timers have to be longer than 30 seconds to receive bonus points, and since you can only use electricity in actions lasting less than 10 seconds, I don't think this will work... There is also the 11/14/17 FAQ prohibiting the use of electrical sensors to end timers...
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

My understanding of the sensor ending the timer is you cannot use sensor to end it, but you sure can use a sensor to detect the end of it. You should not adjust the threshold for the time. Of cause, you should not have an internal timer to cheat.

My son's team is using the iodine clock with photo sensor. No problem in Mira Loma and Golden Gate invitations.
jinhusong

Post by jinhusong »

I feel as long as the ES can see some change, like color, volume, to indicate the end of it.

Return to “Mission Possible C”