Chemical Clocks

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Chemical Clocks

Post by PM2017 »

What about attaching a round bottom flask to a plastic syringe, and dipping the whole thing in a container. During the run, an exothermic action will take place in the container, pushing the plunger out.

(The only problem that I currently have with this is the fact that I don't know any 3 minute long exothermic reactions.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
dmis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dmis »

That would be really good for the gas expansion, the timer would be more difficult. At least in my experience, using air pressure/pnumatics tends to be unreliable as a timer.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
davecutting wrote:So could we technically use the chemical reaction of a candle burning to heat a metal block of a certain length with a low-melting point solid in it that is released and begins the next action?
Yes. Biggest issue with that is the starting room temperature.

We should have a contest for the most indirect way for a timer to activate the final action.
How would you change the rate at which the candle burns?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
davecutting wrote:So could we technically use the chemical reaction of a candle burning to heat a metal block of a certain length with a low-melting point solid in it that is released and begins the next action?
Yes. Biggest issue with that is the starting room temperature.

We should have a contest for the most indirect way for a timer to activate the final action.
How would you change the rate at which the candle burns?
Bring a long candle and cut it to length? Though that would probably require some modifications to the timer mechanism.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
marvinl718
Division: C
State: VA

Post by marvinl718 »

Would adjusting the amount of baking soda in a baking soda and vinegar reaction be a reliable method to alter timing on a chemical step?
Fairfax High School
2017 Nationals: 4th Electric Vehicle
davecutting
Division: C
State: NY

Post by davecutting »

Maybe... the balloons might not be consistent though. I've figured mine out, but I do have one question... can we start the transfer by moving something with a motor, so long as the motor only takes a second or two? That's electricity, but that's not powering the reaction nor is it influencing the time other than the fact that it starts it.
David Cutting
Ward Melville HS Science Olympiad
Hovercraft: Islip Invy 2[sup]nd[/sup], MIT Invy 26[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 3[sup]rd[/sup], SOUP 3[sup]rd[/sup], Statees 3[sup]rd[/sup]
Mission Possible: Islip Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], MIT Invy 11[sup]th[/sup], Regionals 1[sup]st[/sup], SOUP 2[sup]nd[/sup], States 2[sup]nd[/sup]
Game (Alternate): MIT Invy 32[sup]nd[/sup]
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

davecutting wrote:Maybe... the balloons might not be consistent though. I've figured mine out, but I do have one question... can we start the transfer by moving something with a motor, so long as the motor only takes a second or two? That's electricity, but that's not powering the reaction nor is it influencing the time other than the fact that it starts it.
Is it reasonable to count the motor and the chemical action as two separate actions? If you can do that, then I believe any confusion will be solved.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

So I think I just had a good idea.

I have these incense sticks that you burn, and I was thinking if you light one end with nichrome, and let it burn down to a point where you attach a match (this can be adjusted for the desired time), and the match eventually lights, activating a photocell, it might work as a chemical clock.

The only problem I see is if an ES thinks of this as a fuse. Thoughts?

EDIT: These incense sticks don't produce a flame, but slowly burn from the inside.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
aniSUKSatCHEM

Post by aniSUKSatCHEM »

I wanted to use incense sticks as my chemical clock. Do incense sticks count as a fuse? If incense is a fuse, then I will have to think of something else for my chemical clock. (My partner asked this question earlier, but it sort of got drowned out over time)
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

Is there any way to use the formation of precipitate to block light, without the use of a sensor?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mission Possible C”