Chemical Clocks

andrew lorino
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chemical Clocks

Post by andrew lorino »

Since the score able tasks all have threads, its only logical that the timer "tasks" have threads too. So here's a place to discuss ideas on how to make, set, and measure chemical clocks.
AbdullahNauman

Re: Chemical Clocks

Post by AbdullahNauman »

An Iodine clock may work where it predictably changes between blue and colourless at specific intervals a set number of times. One could set up a controller to count the amount it time remains colourless, in order to detect when the reagents have been depleted, and start the next action.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_clock_reaction

Since the actual timing and adjustment(about of reagent) is being conducted by the chemical reaction, I don't think the microcontroller would make it an electrical timer, however, this is certainly up to interpretation. I also don't believe the cycles are especially accurate so a secondary timer for the units place may be required. Certainly not the best option.

Has anyone else come across simpler, or more reliable methods?
Division B - Paul J. Gelinas:
Hovercraft - Nationals - 5th Place
Roller Coaster - Nationals - 3rd Place
--
Anatomy & Physiology
Mission Possible
Air Trajectory
RoboCross
Bottle Rocket
Fast Facts
Microbe Mission
---
Division C - Ward Melville:
TBD
---
Personal Website
Google+
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

AbdullahNauman wrote:An Iodine clock may work where it predictably changes between blue and colourless at specific intervals a set number of times. One could set up a controller to count the amount it time remains colourless, in order to detect when the reagents have been depleted, and start the next action.

Since the actual timing and adjustment(about of reagent) is being conducted by the chemical reaction, I don't think the microcontroller would make it an electrical timer, however, this is certainly up to interpretation. I also don't believe the cycles are especially accurate so a secondary timer for the units place may be required. Certainly not the best option.

I like the idea and it would be reliable . . . except for temperature changes.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
andrew lorino

Post by andrew lorino »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
AbdullahNauman wrote:An Iodine clock may work where it predictably changes between blue and colourless at specific intervals a set number of times. One could set up a controller to count the amount it time remains colourless, in order to detect when the reagents have been depleted, and start the next action.

I had the same idea, my main concern was that the sensor pretty much has to be electrical so an ES could see that as 'powering' the timer
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:

I had the same idea, my main concern was that the sensor pretty much has to be electrical so an ES could see that as 'powering' the timer
I would think that the sensor simply reads the timer and figures out when to start the next transfer. The timing mechanism is controlled by the reaction.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I like the idea and it would be reliable . . . except for temperature changes.
I would think that the sensor simply reads the timer and figures out when to start the next transfer. The timing mechanism is controlled by the reaction.
In theory, yes, but imagine you are an event supervisor. How are you going to tell if the student is using the arduino to measure the temperature, or merely has it programmed to wait, say, 60 seconds before activating the next task?
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Flavorflav wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
andrew lorino wrote:
In theory, yes, but imagine you are an event supervisor. How are you going to tell if the student is using the arduino to measure the temperature, or merely has it programmed to wait, say, 60 seconds before activating the next task?
I thought about this myself for another transition (which I wasn't planning to share but there might be a rule clarification that makes the transfer overcomplicated) and created a way to prove to the event supervisor that the cause of the next transfer starting was due to the transfer itself and not a timing mechanism. If measuring temperature you could demonstrate by having objects of different temperatures and showing how it only goes off when the temperature changes. If doing the iodine clocks, you could put a dark colored object in front a color sensor. etc.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Northridge

Post by Northridge »

I would be careful with this one. You have an electrical device physically counting color shifts the whole duration. In my mind, this would be an electrical step/timer.
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Northridge wrote:I would be careful with this one. You have an electrical device physically counting color shifts the whole duration. In my mind, this would be an electrical step/timer.
I've tried to post three times in reply to this and for some reason keep getting logged out...

In summary, I think the electrical/spring/mechanical/electrical classifications of timers refers to the mechanism of timing (inflating a balloon, a falling weight) and not to what the timer tiggers at the end of the time (switch, microcontroller, pushing an object). By your logic a falling weight triggering a switch would be electrical and a balloon inflating which pushes an object would be mechanical.
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

Northridge

Post by Northridge »

I have coached and judged enough years to know potential problem steps in terms of how judges judge things. I am simply giving advice.

Return to “Mission Possible C”