Supervising Setup

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Supervising Setup

Post by windu34 »

I was curious as to whether you guys have seen/experienced a specific way of running Mission Possible that you felt was superior/optimal as far as checking in, check-listing, and scoring the actual runs.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Supervising Setup

Post by dragonfruit35 »

windu34 wrote:I was curious as to whether you guys have seen/experienced a specific way of running Mission Possible that you felt was superior/optimal as far as checking in, check-listing, and scoring the actual runs.
They modified the set-up process a little bit in Virginia, and it seemed to work fairly well (but I can't speak for the ES's of course). Basically, since some devices need matches, ice, or other stuff that's somewhat time-sensitive, everyone gets 15 minutes at the beginning of the session. Then the ES's go around to each device, they'll measure it and check ASLs and stuff, and then you get two more minutes to finish setting up. I thought it was fine, although it would make more sense to me for it to be 28 minutes then two since (15+2=17) minutes is much less than 30. All the teams (I think there were about 6?) in the session got out on time.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
Snarknado
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Snarknado »

windu34 wrote:I was curious as to whether you guys have seen/experienced a specific way of running Mission Possible that you felt was superior/optimal as far as checking in, check-listing, and scoring the actual runs.
I would definitely recommend you bring a copy of the FAQs and rule changes, as they are quite significant.
Other than that, maybe have one person run check ins while the other person is free to score boxes? So far this year, some people don't arrive exactly on time while others prefer to test as quickly as possible.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

We usually have close to thirty devices run in blocks of up to eight per hour, so we insist on impound. Not everybody uses their thirty minute setup time, but if they did there would be no way to run eight devices in an hour even with an impound to measure everything and check for construction violations. It's pretty tight a lot of the time even with an impound period. I wish they'd put it back in the rules for regionals - better for teams to think they have to impound when they don't than vice-versa.
marty3
Been thanked: 0

Post by marty3 »

The one thing I strongly recommend is have 1 ES and/or volunteers manage check-in, setup timing, and questions during setup. It really helps the rest of the ES focus on judging the runs without distractions.

For actually judging, I split up the tasks among ES, often working in parallel between the current team and the next team (e.g. measuring/violation checks of next team while disputing errors with the current team). It's best if all ES watch and time each run.

One other tactic I have that might minimize the amount of official arbitration is to keep parents and coaches out of the room during setup, and let only 1-2 of them watch the device run. Parents and coaches tend to understand rule mistakes better when they overhear ES-student discussion rather than from students. Fewer people in the room also prevents mishaps with other teams, like messing up their device during setup. This makes the day easier for the ES.

I've only ever run this event with 1 group of ES, but this year we'll have 2-3 groups of ES thanks to shortened scheduling times at local tournaments and the demonstrations in the rules. Any advice on how to run it like this fairly? Different ES will interpret things differently, especially with new ES.

Return to “Mission Possible C”