Parallel or dead end actions

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Parallel or dead end actions

Post by 302735 »

Rules state no parallel actions or dead end actions. If you had a pull string that activated a battery then also went on to complete another action, would the running battery be considered a parallel action? It will be deactivated 10 seconds by yet another action. Thanks!
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Parallel or dead end actions

Post by PM2017 »

302735 wrote:Rules state no parallel actions or dead end actions. If you had a pull string that activated a battery then also went on to complete another action, would the running battery be considered a parallel action? It will be deactivated 10 seconds by yet another action. Thanks!
Yes, that would be considered a parallel action. Is there any reason you can't just keep the battery on from the start?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Post by 302735 »

Ugh. My plan was the battery would activate a electromagnet then when the battery was killed it would drop something signaling the end recording. Thanks.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

302735 wrote:Ugh. My plan was the battery would activate a electromagnet then when the battery was killed it would drop something signaling the end recording. Thanks.
What about having the weight be a magnet attracted to the electromagnet until it is activated when it repels the magnet?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Post by 302735 »

Thanks. That's actually a good idea. Are you sure having the magnet on the entire time doesn't violate the electrical timer rule? I'm new to all this and my coach is too so there aren't a lot of people I can ask.

Post by 302735 »

Just clicked. The reason I had the circuit to the battery off was because the points are for Activating a electromagnet. If it's already on, I don't get credit for activation.
mpnobivucyxtz
Division: C
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

What about using the pull string to activate a switch, rather than the magnet? The switch is closed, the circuit completes, the electromagnet turns on. That way, the battery isn’t turning on and the switch action only controls the electromagnet, so there’s no threat of a parallel action.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

302735 wrote:Ugh. My plan was the battery would activate a electromagnet then when the battery was killed it would drop something signaling the end recording. Thanks.
What about making a homemade relay, so that the electromagnet closes a circuit, will then triggers the end, instead of a push button switch.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mission Possible C”