Mousetrap Vehicle C

EcoDyne
State: -

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Postby EcoDyne » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 am

Hey guys I'm a new member and I have a question about rule 7.d.i.

It states that if the entire cup in any orientation ends up past the Cup Target Line, the Cup Distance Score = 0. Since the lowest final score wins, does this mean that you want to push the cup past the Cup Target Line? I'm confused about this because it seems a lot easier to just push the cup past the line than to line up the cup exactly with the cup target line.

Alex-RCHS
Division: C
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am

EcoDyne wrote:Hey guys I'm a new member and I have a question about rule 7.d.i.

It states that if the entire cup in any orientation ends up past the Cup Target Line, the Cup Distance Score = 0. Since the lowest final score wins, does this mean that you want to push the cup past the Cup Target Line? I'm confused about this because it seems a lot easier to just push the cup past the line than to line up the cup exactly with the cup target line.

Yes, the best case scenario is that you push the cup entirely past the starting line. Whether you push it one inch past, or one meter past is entirely up to you and does not directly affect your score. (However, it is preferable to push it only slightly past the line in order to lower your time)
Raleigh Charter HS c/o 2018 :idea:
2018 Events
Microbe Mission
Mousetrap Vehicle
Thermodynamics
Remote Sensing

It took Einstein 26 years to develop a theory about space. It was about time, too.

MangoTTT

Postby MangoTTT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi, one problem I had when building the mousetrap vehicle is that when I put everything in place and set it up, the car won't move when I put it on the floor, and I used two mousetraps. Is there any way to fix it?

PM2017

Postby PM2017 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

MangoTTT wrote:Hi, one problem I had when building the mousetrap vehicle is that when I put everything in place and set it up, the car won't move when I put it on the floor, and I used two mousetraps. Is there any way to fix it?

Can you post a picture?
2018 Events : Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

Favorite Inspirational Quote: "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." (Attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

Alex-RCHS

Postby Alex-RCHS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

MangoTTT wrote:Hi, one problem I had when building the mousetrap vehicle is that when I put everything in place and set it up, the car won't move when I put it on the floor, and I used two mousetraps. Is there any way to fix it?

1. Did you wind the axle in the right direction? If not, your car might be trying to reverse with your wingnut stopping it.
2. If you lift the drive wheels off the ground do they spin?
3. How long is your lever arm?
2018 Events
Microbe Mission
Mousetrap Vehicle
Thermodynamics
Remote Sensing

It took Einstein 26 years to develop a theory about space. It was about time, too.

MangoTTT

Postby MangoTTT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:

1. Did you wind the axle in the right direction? If not, your car might be trying to reverse with your wingnut stopping it.

1. yes and i did not add the wingnut in yet
2. yes
3. uhhh about 15cm?

windu34
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: FL

Postby windu34 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 am

MangoTTT wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:

2. yes
3. uhhh about 15cm?

How heavy is it? Also pics would help if possible
President of Science Olympiad at the University of Florida || Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
SONT 2016: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 3rd place in Robot Arm
SONT 2017: 2nd place in Electric Vehicle || 5th place in Invasive Species
Jazzin710@gmail.com
windu34's Userpage

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 am

MangoTTT wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:

2. yes
3. uhhh about 15cm?

15 cm strikes me as very short - I'd recommend at least 40 cm, maybe more. And agree with windu, how heavy?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

MangoTTT

Postby MangoTTT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 am

Unome wrote:
MangoTTT wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:1. Did you wind the axle in the right direction? If not, your car might be trying to reverse with your wingnut stopping it.

2. yes
3. uhhh about 15cm?

15 cm strikes me as very short - I'd recommend at least 40 cm, maybe more. And agree with windu, how heavy?

about 500grams, also i don't have a picture right now sorry ;( but it's like any other regular mousetrap vehicle, four wheels, long rectangular body and metal rods.

Alex-RCHS

Postby Alex-RCHS » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:26 am

Depending on your wheel size, 15cm could be fine. Mine is currently about that length and works fine (times around 10s, not amazing but certainly not limited by the lever arm). It depends partially on your wheel and axle diameters.

Edit: 500g is a little on the heavy side, but I don't think that would prevent it from moving. What are the diameters of your drive wheels and axle?
2018 Events
Microbe Mission
Mousetrap Vehicle
Thermodynamics
Remote Sensing

MangoTTT

Postby MangoTTT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:Depending on your wheel size, 15cm could be fine. Mine is currently about that length and works fine (times around 10s, not amazing but certainly not limited by the lever arm). It depends partially on your wheel and axle diameters.

Edit: 500g is a little on the heavy side, but I don't think that would prevent it from moving. What are the diameters of your drive wheels and axle?

I'm using 1/4 diameter rod and cd wheels

Alex-RCHS

Postby Alex-RCHS » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

MangoTTT wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Depending on your wheel size, 15cm could be fine. Mine is currently about that length and works fine (times around 10s, not amazing but certainly not limited by the lever arm). It depends partially on your wheel and axle diameters.

I'm using 1/4 diameter rod and cd wheels

That seems fine to me. You might want to extend your lever arm but at the current length it won’t prevent you from moving. I’m not sure why your car won’t move.
2018 Events
Microbe Mission
Mousetrap Vehicle
Thermodynamics
Remote Sensing

Chameleon02
State: MI

Postby Chameleon02 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I know this is a basic question, but how are you guys activating both mousetraps with one pencil? And what material are you using to join them together

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Chameleon02 wrote:I know this is a basic question, but how are you guys activating both mousetraps with one pencil? And what material are you using to join them together

If you're reversing the rotation direction of the string to reverse, put a thin wooden plate on top of both mousetraps (this seems to follow 3.a to me). If you're using one string for each direction, you should only need to activate one mousetrap.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School

2018 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Herpetology, Materials Science, Microbe Mission, Remote Sensing

PM2017

Postby PM2017 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Is the cord spinning around the axle instead of spinning with the axle?
2018 Events : Astronomy, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Fermi Questions

Favorite Inspirational Quote: "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." (Attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”