Mousetrap Vehicle C

4Head
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by 4Head »

DarthBuilder wrote:Would a 20 pound fishing line and a 6 pound fishing line have much difference on how many reactions it can take in the same vehicle? Like I sued the 6 pound line which was thin and it took all of the rotations now the 20 doesn’t take all the rotations. Is this due to the thickness?
Yes
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
rafaelnadal
State: TX

Post by rafaelnadal »

Is 1/8" axle too small in yall's opinion?
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

rafaelnadal wrote:Is 1/8" axle too small in yall's opinion?
Depends on wheel size, and length of lever arm. Will elaborate later, have competition on Saturday, no time,
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
pioverrated

Post by pioverrated »

Is there any penalty for going outside of the lines? If so, how much? My car does not travel straight and its going to be very hard to fix.
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

pioverrated wrote:Is there any penalty for going outside of the lines? If so, how much? My car does not travel straight and its going to be very hard to fix.
There is no penalty for that
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

terence.tan wrote:
pioverrated wrote:Is there any penalty for going outside of the lines? If so, how much? My car does not travel straight and its going to be very hard to fix.
There is no penalty for that
Unless it hits a wall or something for which there is no penalty, but will make you very sad.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Aristotle

Post by Aristotle »

This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if there is an advantage of using one mousetrap instead of two? I understand that with two mousetraps there is double the amount of power, but on our current car (which is light around 125 grams) reducing the mass of one mousetrap would significantly decrease the mass, decrease friction, and increase acceleration. What I'm wondering is whether that increase in acceleration is greater than the force of a heavier two mousetrap car. I made some calculations with two hypothetical cars and found a slight advantage with using two mousetraps but I am not 100% sure these calculations are correct.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Anyone have any thoughts?
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Aristotle wrote:This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if there is an advantage of using one mousetrap instead of two? I understand that with two mousetraps there is double the amount of power, but on our current car (which is light around 125 grams) reducing the mass of one mousetrap would significantly decrease the mass, decrease friction, and increase acceleration. What I'm wondering is whether that increase in acceleration is greater than the force of a heavier two mousetrap car. I made some calculations with two hypothetical cars and found a slight advantage with using two mousetraps but I am not 100% sure these calculations are correct.

In my opinion, you should look at this in terms of energy.

If you use two mousetraps, your car will have twice the potential energy of a car with one mousetrap. That means that (in theory) you will have twice the kinetic energy to work with. Since kinetic energy is proportional to mass (and velocity squared) you will achieve greater velocity as long as your mass does not double. Since your mass will definitely not double with the addition of the second mousetrap, the velocity achieved by your car with two mousetraps will be greater than with one.

Your calculations are a bit hard for me to follow, but I personally think that calculating this in terms of energy is a much better approximation.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
JT880
State: DC

Post by JT880 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Aristotle wrote:This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know if there is an advantage of using one mousetrap instead of two? I understand that with two mousetraps there is double the amount of power, but on our current car (which is light around 125 grams) reducing the mass of one mousetrap would significantly decrease the mass, decrease friction, and increase acceleration. What I'm wondering is whether that increase in acceleration is greater than the force of a heavier two mousetrap car. I made some calculations with two hypothetical cars and found a slight advantage with using two mousetraps but I am not 100% sure these calculations are correct.

In my opinion, you should look at this in terms of energy.

If you use two mousetraps, your car will have twice the potential energy of a car with one mousetrap. That means that (in theory) you will have twice the kinetic energy to work with. Since kinetic energy is proportional to mass (and velocity squared) you will achieve greater velocity as long as your mass does not double. Since your mass will definitely not double with the addition of the second mousetrap, the velocity achieved by your car with two mousetraps will be greater than with one.

Your calculations are a bit hard for me to follow, but I personally think that calculating this in terms of energy is a much better approximation.
This is correct. Having two mousetraps should theoretically double the amount of elastic potential energy. As long as the second mousetrap is less than the mass of the first mousetrap + the mass of the car by itself, you should see an increase in velocity.

For our team (and pretty much every other team I see), we use two mousetraps to power the vehicle.
Washington D.C.

2018 Events
Hovercraft, Optics, Thermodynamics, Dynamic Planet, Mousetrap Vehicle
4Head

Post by 4Head »

So on the subject of launching the cup instead of pushing it:

Would it be legal to just load a rubber band prior to the run and start the run by releasing it? From what I've seen in the rules we're only allowed to use power from the mousetraps to contribute to propulsion but this wouldn't be propulsion.

If not, would we somehow have to use the mousetrap's energy to launch the cup?
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”