Mousetrap Vehicle C

Alex-RCHS
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Alex-RCHS » December 7th, 2017, 9:23 pm

PM2017 wrote:I think I just had a nearly trivial, albeit clever idea for the dowel: using a very thin blade, cut along the length of a plastic straw (bigger than 1/4 inch in diameter), and just fold it in to fit into whatever slot you're using for the dowel. It is adjustable but also doesn't move on its own, due to the friction created by the elasticity of the straw.

It doesn't change a whole lot but makes life just a tad bit easier.
What do you mean by dowel exactly?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 » December 7th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
PM2017 wrote:I think I just had a nearly trivial, albeit clever idea for the dowel: using a very thin blade, cut along the length of a plastic straw (bigger than 1/4 inch in diameter), and just fold it in to fit into whatever slot you're using for the dowel. It is adjustable but also doesn't move on its own, due to the friction created by the elasticity of the straw.

It doesn't change a whole lot but makes life just a tad bit easier.
What do you mean by dowel exactly?
rule 3.e.
I meant that instead of using some sort of wooden rod for the dowel, you could use a straw.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 » December 9th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Hey guys,
Great work.
We just had our first invitational at Northview and won first place.
It took us 15.7 secs to complete the course. Currently, the vehicle is around 350g. We are planning to rebuild it with lighter wood in order to reduce the weight to below 200g.

The distance was pretty spot on, with a distance from the point of 4cm.

Does anyone have any other tips to reduce our score, and how would this current score fare at Michigan states?
Thanks for all your help
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!

Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology » December 14th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Anyone know about how many uses a tomcat mousetrap is good for before it needs to be replaced?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 » December 16th, 2017, 12:06 pm

That would be highly variable, depending on the precision that you will use for the determination.
Based on past experience, you could see a loss after about 5 runs. So the students would swap out the mousetraps the night before a competition. As posted before, we saved the best ones for regional and for state as the team would not make nationals.

terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan » December 17th, 2017, 7:49 am

bernard wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:alrighty, thanks! what is a good grip for wheels? I have CDs right now. I think balloons should do something for right now until i figure out a better solution?
Sure, and clean them as needed. I've appreciated the precision of Actobotics wheels and their rubber tires but they are heavier. I think Actobotics may make rubber tires for CDs...
Where can I get these actobotics wheels?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego » December 17th, 2017, 8:03 am

terence.tan wrote:
bernard wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:alrighty, thanks! what is a good grip for wheels? I have CDs right now. I think balloons should do something for right now until i figure out a better solution?
Sure, and clean them as needed. I've appreciated the precision of Actobotics wheels and their rubber tires but they are heavier. I think Actobotics may make rubber tires for CDs...
Where can I get these actobotics wheels?
Try servocity.com
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan » December 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

The rules say that i can not use anything electronic. But what if i use a mechanical generator to power a laser for my aiming device. Or is that still electronic?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » December 18th, 2017, 6:52 pm

terence.tan wrote:The rules say that i can not use anything electronic. But what if i use a mechanical generator to power a laser for my aiming device. Or is that still electronic?
While this is not an official clarification (you should go to soinc.org for that) I believe this answers your question.

A generator (and laser, I think) controls an electric current by definition. In my opinion, that would be interpreted as electronic by 99% of event supervisors.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson » December 19th, 2017, 10:41 am

terence.tan wrote:The rules say that i can not use anything electronic. But what if i use a mechanical generator to power a laser for my aiming device. Or is that still electronic?
My experience here is: If you don't have a FAQ, don't do it. You don't want to lose the argument with the ES and get a violation. Many scopes used for firearms have crosshairs that can be tuned in. While it is a more expensive route, a quality sighting device will stay with your team for many years because each vehicle event can use it.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”