Mousetrap Vehicle C

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Alex-RCHS »

JasperKota wrote: ~2 feet sounds alright to me, you need the vehicle to be long enough in order to go the 3 meters forward, and 4 meters backward. If the vehicle is too short, the lever driving the vehicle would also be too short and the vehicle won't be able to go the distance.
Technically true, but you have a lot of room for error here because it also depends on your wheel-axle ratio and your car's efficiency (less friction from the wingnut, bearing, etc. = high efficiency). I have a lever arm of about 13 cm and I can go the distance just fine. I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, just that you can easily go the distance with a small car if you have a high wheel-axle ratio and efficient car.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
rafaelnadal
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rafaelnadal »

JasperKota wrote:
SciolyNewbieee wrote:Here comes a boatload of questions: Okay so the instruction said to cut 2x24 inch sides, but doesn't that seem too large? Would it be a problem doing 2x12 inches and if so, what's the benefit of having a longer/larger vehicle? They also mention something about a mounting point, what exactly is that?
~2 feet sounds alright to me, you need the vehicle to be long enough in order to go the 3 meters forward, and 4 meters backward. If the vehicle is too short, the lever driving the vehicle would also be too short and the vehicle won't be able to go the distance. Not sure what a mounting point would be, but I'm guessing it's where you would mount your mousetraps?
Isn't 2 feet a lot longer than the 50cm or smaller requirement?

24 inches is roughly 60cm
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rafaelnadal wrote:
JasperKota wrote:
SciolyNewbieee wrote:Here comes a boatload of questions: Okay so the instruction said to cut 2x24 inch sides, but doesn't that seem too large? Would it be a problem doing 2x12 inches and if so, what's the benefit of having a longer/larger vehicle? They also mention something about a mounting point, what exactly is that?
~2 feet sounds alright to me, you need the vehicle to be long enough in order to go the 3 meters forward, and 4 meters backward. If the vehicle is too short, the lever driving the vehicle would also be too short and the vehicle won't be able to go the distance. Not sure what a mounting point would be, but I'm guessing it's where you would mount your mousetraps?

It's longer, but it's only the wheels that have to fit in that space.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
rafaelnadal
State: TX

Post by rafaelnadal »

Unome wrote:
rafaelnadal wrote:
JasperKota wrote: ~2 feet sounds alright to me, you need the vehicle to be long enough in order to go the 3 meters forward, and 4 meters backward. If the vehicle is too short, the lever driving the vehicle would also be too short and the vehicle won't be able to go the distance. Not sure what a mounting point would be, but I'm guessing it's where you would mount your mousetraps?

It's longer, but it's only the wheels that have to fit in that space.
hmmm so the distance between the front and the back wheels has to be 50 cm but the actual thing can extend further?
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

rafaelnadal wrote: hmmm so the distance between the front and the back wheels has to be 50 cm but the actual thing can extend further?
Imagine a 50x50cm square. You have to be able to drop this square completely over your vehicle without any part of the wheels touching the square. The non-wheel parts can be as large as you want.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Anyone know where you can find metric sizes of aluminum/titanium threaded rods? All I can find are in inches.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Anyone know where you can find metric sizes of aluminum/titanium threaded rods? All I can find are in inches.
Here's where I got mine: http://www.alliedtitanium.com/products/ ... dStuds.php

Good luck!
GoldDigger

Post by GoldDigger »

RJohnson wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Anyone know where you can find metric sizes of aluminum/titanium threaded rods? All I can find are in inches.

Good luck!
How long did these take to ship? Do you have a link to your specific rod, since all the ones that I can find require a minimum of 50 pcs to purchase?
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

GoldDigger wrote:
RJohnson wrote:

Good luck!
How long did these take to ship? Do you have a link to your specific rod, since all the ones that I can find require a minimum of 50 pcs to purchase?
Same question, I'm getting a minimum of 100 actually.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
RJohnson
State: OH

Post by RJohnson »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
GoldDigger wrote:
RJohnson wrote:

Good luck!
Same question, I'm getting a minimum of 100 actually.
I ordered from this page: https://www.alliedtitanium.com/vupdc_De ... =815852001

I got a call a few days laters, made sure of the specifics of my order and now it's on its way. I ordered on 12/17/17 and it is scheduled to be here on 1/3/18. Obviously can't attest to quality of product yet but the service was very good.

Note on previous post: I have received my carbon fiber from Dragon Plate. Very happy. Does exactly what I need it to do. Would purchase from them again.

Edit: I just realized as I posted that the price disappeared from that page. I was billed $1.08 per inch.

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”