Mousetrap Vehicle C

sabacat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by sabacat » January 24th, 2018, 12:52 pm

bernard wrote:Mousetrap Vehicle Wiki
Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
can you point me in the right direction for adding a button to start the mousetrap vehicle?
Thanks

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego » January 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm

sabacat wrote:
can you point me in the right direction for adding a button to start the mousetrap vehicle?
Thanks
The button is simply pressing the release on one of the traps. No external button necessary (unless you want to have both release bars set before you release).
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

vjindal
Division: C
State: NY

Post by vjindal » January 24th, 2018, 1:11 pm

antoine_ego wrote:
sabacat wrote:
Thanks
The button is simply pressing the release on one of the traps. No external button necessary (unless you want to have both release bars set before you release).
Even if you want to have both traps set before release, you do not need an external button. The pencil can be held sideways so that you can hit both traps simultaneously. We did this at MIT and Islip.
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s

PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 » January 24th, 2018, 4:30 pm

vjindal wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
sabacat wrote:
Thanks
Even if you want to have both traps set before release, you do not need an external button. The pencil can be held sideways so that you can hit both traps simultaneously. We did this at MIT and Islip.
The proctors should have dinged you for that one, according to rule 3.g.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

vjindal

Post by vjindal » January 24th, 2018, 4:46 pm

PM2017 wrote:
vjindal wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
It says the "actuation of it by the pencil is perpendicular (vertical) to the floor". This means that the motion of the pencil must be perpendicular, not the pencil itself.

Brother Nigel was our proctor at Islip. He is the national supervisor and he allowed us to orient the pencil horizontally and use a motion perpendicular to the floor.
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s

PM2017

Post by PM2017 » January 25th, 2018, 2:07 pm

vjindal wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
vjindal wrote:
It says the "actuation of it by the pencil is perpendicular (vertical) to the floor". This means that the motion of the pencil must be perpendicular, not the pencil itself.

Brother Nigel was our proctor at Islip. He is the national supervisor and he allowed us to orient the pencil horizontally and use a motion perpendicular to the floor.
Ahh, you're right. Thanks for correcting me.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

thesenotes

Post by thesenotes » January 28th, 2018, 10:38 am

I was wondering, is it legal to launch the cup forwards past the cup line and then reverse directly to the target point? I think someone asked this earlier on this forum. As long as the cup remains in contact with the floor the entire time I think it should be legal according to the rules. The question is, is this legal, and would this be considered not "in the spirit of the event" to the supervisors running it?
2016 SONT: 5th Place Scrambler
2017 MIT: 1st Place Electric Vehicle
2018 MIT: 1st Place Helicopter, 6th Place Mousetrap Vehicle
2018 UPenn: 2nd Place Mousetrap Vehicle, 2nd Place Mission Possible, 3rd Place Helicopter

pkhsekar@gmail.com

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » January 28th, 2018, 10:51 am

thesenotes wrote:I was wondering, is it legal to launch the cup forwards past the cup line and then reverse directly to the target point? I think someone asked this earlier on this forum. As long as the cup remains in contact with the floor the entire time I think it should be legal according to the rules. The question is, is this legal, and would this be considered not "in the spirit of the event" to the supervisors running it?
I’m not sure if it’s legal but two potential arguments for its illegality were brought up earlier in this thread, one due to the parts not moving “as a whole” (or something like that) and the other due to the “spirit of the event”.

In my opinion it’s not even worth it if you could. It won’t make you any more accurate, just a little bit faster, so as a best case scenario it’ll shave off, what, 4 points? At the risk of being tiered. It’s better to just focus on accuracy, IMO.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

PM2017

Post by PM2017 » January 28th, 2018, 10:58 am

thesenotes wrote:I was wondering, is it legal to launch the cup forwards past the cup line and then reverse directly to the target point? I think someone asked this earlier on this forum. As long as the cup remains in contact with the floor the entire time I think it should be legal according to the rules. The question is, is this legal, and would this be considered not "in the spirit of the event" to the supervisors running it?
When I asked this earlier, I think that the decision was that it is illegal because all parts of the vehicle must move as a whole (I found this iffy, since by this logic the lever arm is a violation...), and since the event description states that the mousetrap car will be designed to push the cup forward, then reverse. (A better reason imo.)

Both these reasons are up to interpretation, however. One solution is to build two cars, one traditionally, and one unidirectional with a cup launcher, but idk which SciOlympian has time for that.

Also, speaking of loopholes in this event, the rules state that nothing can touch the ground unless its string, wheels, or already in contact at the start of the run. Does anyone think that it is possible to have a break pad touching the ground at the start, lift up, and push back down at the end?

Also, that moment when you squander your team's second place by winding the car backward, (the precision was nigh perfect though). We got sixth overall, with only a 14 pt difference between us and second. If my car hadn't gotten only participation points, we would have placed second... Lessons learned I guess...
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

PM2017

Post by PM2017 » January 28th, 2018, 11:01 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s legal but two potential arguments for its illegality were brought up earlier in this thread, one due to the parts not moving “as a whole” (or something like that) and the other due to the “spirit of the event”.

In my opinion it’s not even worth it if you could. It won’t make you any more accurate, just a little bit faster, so as a best case scenario it’ll shave off, what, 4 points? At the risk of being tiered. It’s better to just focus on accuracy, IMO.
Actually, it might. any wobble in the wheel or any slight imperfect would be amplified in the extra six meters.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”